Author Topic: Bowden in Kilkenny  (Read 9947 times)

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bowden in Kilkenny
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 May 06 07:28 BST (UK) »
Chris,

It was the St Peters church at Phibsboro. I wrote to the man in charge there and he replied to say they don't have records that go that far back. At the time of the marriage, Joseph and Anne were at different addresses in Dublin - Joseph at 5 Kearns Buildings, Upper Leeson Street and Anne at Leeson Place, the mews of Lower Leeson Street. I don't know whether that was Anne's home or whether she was staying with friends or relatives there. Neither do I know why Joseph was in Dublin. He was English and was born in Sheffield in 1826 and was a mechanic. Neither do I know why they got married in Phibsboro on the northern fringe of the city. I have paid a professional researcher to find a record of Anne's birth in Drogheda between 1820 and 1830 and he drew a complete blank.

Simon

Offline maryv3979

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 02:38 BST (UK) »
My gggrandfather was John Bowden. My ggrandfather was also John Bowden born in 1844 from Thomastown, Kilkenny. He was married Sept 25, 1870 to Margaret Dalton (daughter of John Dalton). Both John's were shoemakers, as was his brother James born abt 1850. James emigrated to USA in 1869 or 1870. John and James were shoemakers in Niles, Ohio. Bowden's Boots and Shoes. James married Delia Keating. He died about 1921 in Niles.
I don't know if these Bowden's are any relation or not.
Hope to hear from anyone who has interests in the Bowden's of Kilkenny.

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 06:45 BST (UK) »
Maryv3979,

Do you know if your ggg-grandfather John Bowden had a brother called James? Do you know anything else about John?

Thanks,
Simon

Offline maryv3979

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 14:36 BST (UK) »
I wish I did know more about my gggrandfather John but I am drawing blanks. So, I really do not know if he had a brother named James, but he may have because the name James shows up often in the family tree.

Offline sgrollitt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 17:01 BST (UK) »
OK Mary. Isn't it frustrating. Good luck anyway.

Simon Rollitt - from Frith - from Bowden.