Author Topic: younie rafford  (Read 8598 times)

Offline cjoneill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
younie rafford
« on: Thursday 04 May 06 14:37 BST (UK) »
i have been trying to track down the parents of a john younie born about 1750 although possibly a bit earlier.
he married an elspet key and they had 4 kids that i know of.
all the kids were born in rafford so i assume he probaly was to.i would be grateful to anyone with any info on him or anyone tracking the younies in rafford or knockando.

cheers cj
moray: collie  younie grant margach
wiltshire: crook mould
peterborough: mobb
aberdeen: ogg  allardyce strachan findlay
lancashire:yates craigg
banff:cruickshank

Offline jeffH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: younie rafford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 June 06 04:53 BST (UK) »
Good to see someone else researching "Rafford" Younies for a change...

I believe the Younie you are looking for is William Younie born abt 1721 and married Janet Duncan 6 Sept 1741. Their son John was born 17 June 1745 in Rafford.

This is third party information so I can't say it's entirely accurate but it's a good place to start.

John and Elspet Younie were my GGGGGreat Grandparents. We can share more info off-line if you like.

Jeff
Pembrokeshire - Harries and Blethyn<br />Somerset - Wilkins, Parsons and Ball<br/>Essex/Suffolk - Edwards and Smith<br />Morayshire - Younie and Mavor

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 June 06 20:26 BST (UK) »
I also am researching the Younie family.  I believe the parents of John Younie were William Younie and Janet Duncan. John Younie did marry Elspet Key the daughter of Thomas Key and Jean Gallan. I don't have any documentation to prove the above other than family lore but I continue to search (hence using this site). 

John and Elspet are my ggggg grandparents on my fathers side.   
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline cjoneill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 June 06 12:28 BST (UK) »
gday yn9man
thanks for the info
John and Elspet are also my ggggg grandparents on my mothers side.
i have lots of info on the younie family including the ones that went to the us,canada,england and australia.
glad to swap info if you would like

cheers cj
moray: collie  younie grant margach
wiltshire: crook mould
peterborough: mobb
aberdeen: ogg  allardyce strachan findlay
lancashire:yates craigg
banff:cruickshank

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 17:32 BST (UK) »
cj -

Thanks for the message. I don't have much information to swap. I have been trying to find more information (i.e. as much info as I can) about my "kin",  "the family" and their lives in Scotland.  My late grandmother had some family information but it was mostly heresay. (as a footnote, I don't even know how she found/knew the information) I am attempting to document and at the same time find more about the family. I am hopeful on getting to Scotland someday to get a better understanding of my roots. The more I find about my family the more I find out about myself. Here goes ... (good luck in following my line)

John YOUNIE (possibly born 1745 and died mid 1830s??) was the son of William YOUNIE and Janet DUNCAN. He was one of three children ... do not know names. He married Elspet KEY. John and Elspet lived (for that time period) into their 80s. They are buried at Old Rafford Church. 

My line goes through their daughter Elspet who married James MELLIS. Their son Alexander (1) married Elizabeth AUCHINCLOSS. Their son Alexander married Elizabeth JARDINE (unsure of spelling of Jardine). Their daughter Julia married my g grandfather James Galt ADAM. He was a civil engineer, left Scotland for Canada and eventually migrated to the USA. He died at a relatively early age in either Canada or Massachusetts after completing a large tunnel roadway project outside of Montreal.   

I was told that Elspet, James and Alexander (1) Mellis all died in Rafford and are also buried at the Old Rafford Church.  I don't believe the Church or burial ground even exists now.  Thats basically all I know.

I am also looking for information on the other families mentioned above.

Thanks for responding to my message and hope you can "fill in some blanks" for me.

yn9man     

Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 17:44 BST (UK) »
JeffH-

Just saw your posting about the YOUNIE family. I also have YOUNIE connections. I just responded to a message from cj. Can you add any thing? Thanks and happy researching.  We can correspond off line if you wish. I will be "off" the internet for the next two weeks after today.

yn9man

Offline jeffH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 05:10 BST (UK) »
What I've found to be an excellent Morayshire resource is the Moray Council's Local Heritage Service Library Index (libindex)

http://www.moray.gov.uk/LocalHeritage/Assets/html_pages/morayheritage.html

The libindex has references to stuff like newspaper articles, parish records, cemetery records... And once you find something of interest you can order copies through Moray Council's online store (I believe it's called a Heritage Request). You tell them what you want and they send you a quote for their services - all online. Although the store seems to be down for retrofit at the moment.

yn9man: if you look around the libindex you'll find a way to search for surnames in a particular cemetery. The Old Rafford Churchyard is indexed and you should be able to find your Elspet Mellis (Younie) d 28 feb 1862 as well as  James d 22 Oct 1854. I couldn't find an Alexander. I also don't see John and Elspet Key but considering how long ago they died it's possible their stone is now unreadable if it exists at all. The cemetery is still intact and well maintained.

William Younie born abt 1721 and Janet Duncan married 6 Sept 1741 are as far back a I've seen this line researched. Although in the IGI I've seen Janet as Jean and their marriage as 9 June 1741. Guess I won't be convinced until I see a copy of the actual register.

My connection to John and Elspet Key is through their son John and wife Anne Collie. Their son John who married Hellen Mavor emigrated to Canada in 1858.

Jeff
Pembrokeshire - Harries and Blethyn<br />Somerset - Wilkins, Parsons and Ball<br/>Essex/Suffolk - Edwards and Smith<br />Morayshire - Younie and Mavor

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 July 06 20:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in responding.

Just found (located) my misplaced / lost YOUNIE messages. As a "relative newbie" I am still having problems navigating through this site and get confused. Plus I am not exactly a stellar performer on a computer. .

Thanks for listing your YOUNIE connection. I also use "relative" dates, names and places until I am able confirm the information through documentation. Much easier said than done.

I have found the Moray Council Library site beneficial also and in fact have recommended it to another Moray researcher. 

Keep in touch and I wish you the best of luck in your research.

yn9man

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 December 07 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
           A good source of information for these Younies, is the Website of Jock Third,(Third Family Dundee & Elgin) (RootsWeb) who has most of this line detailed online, should come up re Google. If that fails, I can forward his email via P.M.
         Jock Third, Mary Laing & Pat Younie have a comprehensive ammount of information on the Younies of Morayshire.
                                                  Regards,
                                                        Dunmac.     

P.S. The Libindx site is a very good first source for free information on Morayshire families.                                        
McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.