Author Topic: Curragh Camp. Regiments  (Read 125210 times)

Offline Kamilla

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Curragh Camp. Regiments
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 10 January 09 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Devoy Barracks Naas is 9 miles from the Curragh. However was demolished about 6/7 years ago. Now the site of the Osprey Hotel, Appartments and Offices.
There is a heritage Dept in the Library in Naas.

Offline Macker_Irl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 11 January 09 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Here is an old picture of Naas Barracks, I am sorry that I don't have a date, but is pre 1922 by the look of the uniforms.

Regards

Matt

Offline lesleypaters0n

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 11 January 09 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Matt,
That's fantastic! Thank you.
Lesley

Offline PabloC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Excellent photo... :)

My great nan was born in Curragh Camp in 1880, and her birth registered in Naas. Could these then have been the barracks that her father was stationed at, or were there other barracks at Curragh?

Pablo
Arnold - Liverpool
Bennett-Co. Down, Ireland
Clisham-Liverpool/Ireland
Cox - Shropshire/Flintshire
Cuddy - Liverpool/Ireland
Dunne - Co. Laois, Ireland
Glue -Sussex
Guest - Staffordshire
Hughes - Co.Laios, Ireland
Jordan - Co.Down, Ireland
Lancaster - Cumberland
Manion - Liverpool/Galway, Ireland
Pearson - Cumberland
Vallely - Co.Louth, Ireland

Offline JohnnyMills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating information about Curragh Camp.

Perhaps someone could help me out? I'm trying to find which regiments were stationed there in 1898. I know my Grand Uncle was born there, in 1898.

My Grandfather was born at Shorncliffe in 1908. I'm trying to work out my Great-Grandfathers pre-war regiment (11th PAO Hussars 14-18). He was on active service abroad (Africa/India?), in 1901.

Is there one regiment that was at Curragh in 1898, the Boer War in 1901 and at Shorncliffe in 1908? Could it be the Regiment he fought and died for in WW1, namely, the 11th Hussars?

Thanks!

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Excellent photo... :)

My great nan was born in Curragh Camp in 1880, and her birth registered in Naas. Could these then have been the barracks that her father was stationed at, or were there other barracks at Curragh?

Pablo

Was her birth registered in Naas or is the record held in Naas, which is the location of the Registrar's Office for Co. Kildare.

Kildare town and Newbridge were also the sites of barracks on the Curragh.

The Curragh Camp itself was comprised of seven barracks named after British generals until 1922.

Fascinating information about Curragh Camp.

Perhaps someone could help me out? I'm trying to find which regiments were stationed there in 1898. I know my Grand Uncle was born there, in 1898.

My Grandfather was born at Shorncliffe in 1908. I'm trying to work out my Great-Grandfathers pre-war regiment (11th PAO Hussars 14-18). He was on active service abroad (Africa/India?), in 1901.

Is there one regiment that was at Curragh in 1898, the Boer War in 1901 and at Shorncliffe in 1908? Could it be the Regiment he fought and died for in WW1, namely, the 11th Hussars?

Thanks!

The Royal Artillery Museum was able to tell me which artillery units were based in Clonmel so if you write too the Royal Hussars Museum I'd say they'll be able to tell you where the 11th Hussars were in 1898 and which cavalry units were stationed in the Curragh at the time.

http://www2.army.mod.uk/the_kings_royal_hussars/museum.htm

The 11th Hussars website says they were in India from 1892 until going to South Africa in 1899.

Also since your great grandad fought in WW1 have you tried to get his service record.

Offline JohnnyMills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the response Mick.

I actually got my dates slightly wrong - he was born in 1899/1900 at Curragh.

I've spent much time studying the 11th's history, because I convinced myself years ago that he'd served with them. The Regimental Museum doesn't have any records for enlisted men/nco's. Also, because he died as an officer, I dimly recall that the service records in question were destroyed in WW2.

As for the 11th's postings. General dates can be misleading. Often, Regiments sent detachments to serve overseas with different Regiments, or would send A & B Squadron but leave C at home.

I've since discovered that his wife's family lived in Cheriton, the village next to Shorncliffe. So now I, trying to find a regiment to fit the following dates and locations!!

1898/9 - Shorncliffe
1899/1900 - Curragh
1901 - Overseas
1908 - Shorncliffe

I'm still going with the 11th - comes back from India to Shorncliffe. He meets and falls in love with a local girl. New posting to Curragh, she gets pregnant and gives birth there, whilst he goes off to Sth Africa. She takes her first-born home to her parents in Kent (1901 census). He comes back from the war and is posted to Shorncliffe. Child number 2 is born there. He retires in shortly thereafter. Rejoins in 1914 as Lt QuarterMaster and then, very sadly dies of wounds in 1918, aged 49.

Offline Kamilla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I see now. You didn't actually obtain the cert from the LDS but copied it from a film on fiche.

Even so, that is encouraging - for although I've looked at many a film at my LDS centre, I thought that only the BMD indexes were available, and not the film of the actual certificate.

I'll have to do some delving on the LDS and see what can be found...

Thanks for the info.
Leofric

Whether this info: will help you the film no: I quoted for the Ballysax Parish Church
was Film No: 101379. full of marriage certificates.  My understanding is this church was
the local church for the Curragh Barracks. :)
Hondaby
Just like to say that Ballysax is a Villiage about 2-3 miles outside the Curragh. Granted there is a graveyard alongside, but the Church used by the Curragh Military is St Brigids which is based in the Curragh Camp.

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I have a relative born in Curragh. She was Edith May Spain born on 29th September 1865. she had a sister born in Bermuda so families did indeed travel. Her mother Anne Fahey was also from a military family and born in Cephalonica Greece 1844 which was a base for the British Military during the Crimean War. Family Legend says her father Patrick Fahey was in the charge of the light brigade as a bugler but it doesn't match up. We think there may have been some Faheys born in Curragh but haven't been able to find any. There was a Fahey in the charge of the Light Brigade but we haven't found any link to our family. Edith's grandfather was born in 1810 in Loughrae, Galway. If you find any Faheys or Spains I would be greatful for the information.