Author Topic: Curragh Camp. Regiments  (Read 125236 times)

Offline CoxDodds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Curragh Camp. Regiments
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 17 January 09 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating! Just found out my great gran was born in Curragh Camp from the UK 1911 Census. We don't know any details of her family but she grew up to be an army school teacher before she was married to an army sergeant in the Rifle Brigade. heir children were in Aldershot and Dublin before being posted in Malta, India and the Kyber Pass!

Unfortunately I can find no records of her birth or their marriage on the army marriage records via findmypast. So I have to conclude that as Catholics they were registered in the local catholic church. Anyone got any hints on where I can go next?

Ta
Cox
Dodd
O'Donoghue
Whitehead
Barnes
Stockton

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 17 January 09 12:29 GMT (UK) »
If she was born or married after 1864 her birth and marriage should be registered.

Try the Kildare Registrar's Office in Naas first and failing that the General Register Office.

http://www.groireland.ie/

Offline lesleypaters0n

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 17 January 09 13:02 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was born In Naas Military Barracks in 1887, I traced his baptism to the Catholic Church in Naas - the Church of Our Lady & St David - through th Irish Family History Foundation website www.brsgenealogy.com
Lesley

Offline Kamilla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello again!
Thank you for all that 'gravestone' detail.  No trace of my missing family names.  The church listed on my grandfather's baptism cert is Church of Our Lady and St David Naas.  Perhaps this was a Catholic Church outside the barracks.
Lesley

Hi Lesley
The Church still exists; same location, on entering Naas from Dublin).
The Barracks (Devoy) was situated at the opposite end of the town exiting Naas towards Newbridge and the Curragh Army Camp.

Offline Kamilla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 29 January 09 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Excellent photo... :)

My great nan was born in Curragh Camp in 1880, and her birth registered in Naas. Could these then have been the barracks that her father was stationed at, or were there other barracks at Curragh?

Pablo

Was her birth registered in Naas or is the record held in Naas, which is the location of the Registrar's Office for Co. Kildare.

Kildare town and Newbridge were also the sites of barracks on the Curragh.

The Curragh Camp itself was comprised of seven barracks named after British generals until 1922.

Fascinating information about Curragh Camp.

Perhaps someone could help me out? I'm trying to find which regiments were stationed there in 1898. I know my Grand Uncle was born there, in 1898.

My Grandfather was born at Shorncliffe in 1908. I'm trying to work out my Great-Grandfathers pre-war regiment (11th PAO Hussars 14-18). He was on active service abroad (Africa/India?), in 1901.

Is there one regiment that was at Curragh in 1898, the Boer War in 1901 and at Shorncliffe in 1908? Could it be the Regiment he fought and died for in WW1, namely, the 11th Hussars?

Thanks!

The Royal Artillery Museum was able to tell me which artillery units were based in Clonmel so if you write too the Royal Hussars Museum I'd say they'll be able to tell you where the 11th Hussars were in 1898 and which cavalry units were stationed in the Curragh at the time.

http://www2.army.mod.uk/the_kings_royal_hussars/museum.htm

The 11th Hussars website says they were in India from 1892 until going to South Africa in 1899.

Also since your great grandad fought in WW1 have you tried to get his service record.

Hi Mick
The Curragh was indeed the largest Army Camp (7 barracks) which still exists today and can be seen in the distance across the plains from the Curragh race course.
Kildare (1 barracks) situated approx 2 miles westwards and no longer exists as an army facility.
Newbridge (1 barracks & no longer exists) 3 miles eastwards from the Curragh towards Naas & Dublin.
Naas, Devoy barracks approx 1/3 size of the Curragh and 9 miles away is demolished.
All births, army and civilian were and are still registered at Popular House Naas.

Offline CoxDodds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
There is an excellent book(s) which helps you trace where regiments were from 1640 up to the end of WW1. It is called "In search of forlorn hope" by John Kitzmiller, ISBN-13: 978-0961926052 . The 1800's onwards is contained in the 2nd volume (Volume 1 - 1640 to ~ 1800 I think by please check)

I ordered a copy via my local library for £10, but had to wait 6 weeks for it as it is very popular. Data is grouped by location in 10 year bands. Unfortunately you are only able to keep it for 10 days, so had to give it back some time ago!

If someone has it perhaps they could post the list on here?
Cox
Dodd
O'Donoghue
Whitehead
Barnes
Stockton

Offline david_81

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Chris
My mother recently died. Her birth certificate shows she was born April 22 1916 at The Curragh Camp. Her father was Robin Roodhouse a Sergeant Major in the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars.
david

Offline Duncanjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 15 February 09 23:29 GMT (UK) »
My g.g.grandfather, William James Kirby a Fencing Sgt in the 19th Hussars was at Curragh from 1877 probably till 1880.  Army record clear as to when he went not so clear for how long.
Incidentally anyone with information concerning 19th Hussars from 1862 - 1880 I would appreciate. finding it difficult to obtain by "googling".

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Duncanjack,

Welcome to RootsChat.

See if you can borrow a copy of Con Costello's book "A Most Delightful Station: The British Army on the Curragh of Kildare, Ireland, 1855-1922" It was published by Dufour Editions in 1997. It may not mention specific soldiers but should give an idea of their duties and life at the Curragh.

Christopher