Author Topic: born in Tipperary  (Read 2231 times)

Offline banora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
born in Tipperary
« on: Friday 05 May 06 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Looking for any information on Patrick MULLIGAN born Tipperary in 1837? died 1899 in Australia (New South Wales) married Charlotte Ann Cupitt 1863 in Australia can anyone give any information of His Parents and also when he came to Australia? also anything else you may be able to find.

Many thanks :D

Barb
Buckingham, bliss,  Beatty (Beattie or Beaty), Bullock,
 Dunnett,  Jones, , Keane, Kite (Kyte), Nagle, Sendey, Reid,

Offline rory mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: born in Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 06 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb
There is a web site for Tipperary emmigrants who disembarked in NSW:
"http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/(squiggle)maddenps?TIPPEM.htm
My keyboard doesn't support squiggles.  It's an index which gives name, age, spouse and/or children if appropriate, parents' names and individual's place of origin in Tipperary (which may be their residence at time of embarkation rather than birth place).  Patrick Mulligan is not included.  This suggests to me that he may have disembarked in a different colony, possibly Victoria.  If Patrick was born about 1837 and married in NSW in 1863, then he probably emmigrated 1857-1862/3, if as a single adult.  However, he may have arrived even earlier if he arrived with his parents.
Another source for the family would be the Griffiths Valuation, accessable online (refer elsewhere in this forum).  This may help to reduce your range of enquiry within Tipperary.  I assume from the surname that Patrick was a catholic in which case you can request a search, for fee, of parish baptism and marriage registers.  The website is listed elsewhere in the Tipperary forum. 
Best of luck
Rorymac 
Bolton, Dillon, Eagle, Flood, L'Estrange, Landers & Walpole in Ireland.  Mac/McPherson in Renfrew & Argyll.  Summers in Somerset

Offline rory mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb
A further thought re Patrick - He may have been born in Tipperary but if he moved to another county with his parents when still a child, he might have given his "place of origin" as his place of residence at time of emmigration, which might not have been in Tipperary.  Try the Australia forum in this site;  there are people with access to passenger lists who might be able to help.

Rorymac
Bolton, Dillon, Eagle, Flood, L'Estrange, Landers & Walpole in Ireland.  Mac/McPherson in Renfrew & Argyll.  Summers in Somerset

Offline banora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 01:42 BST (UK) »
Rorymac

Thanks very much for your replies I will look into this as you suggest.

Barb
Buckingham, bliss,  Beatty (Beattie or Beaty), Bullock,
 Dunnett,  Jones, , Keane, Kite (Kyte), Nagle, Sendey, Reid,