Author Topic: Researching Graham and Armstrong  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Maria1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Emma Victoria Fairbrother
    • View Profile
Researching Graham and Armstrong
« on: Saturday 06 May 06 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have my GGgrandparents marriage certificate Robert Graham and Margaret Armstrong married 25/12/1852 in the Church at Cockermouth. Both aged 26yrs. Father of Robert is David Graham blacksmith and Father of Margaret is George Armstrong labourer.

I did find David Graham a blacksmith in the 1841 census with his wife Margaret and children John, Thomas, Ann and Margaret.
I believe David Grahams Father to be Thomas Graham born c1760.  Most of the family seem to have been born in Torpenhow.

I also found a family on the IGI for a Thomas Graham c1760 and Eleanor Armstrong c1762 both born in Crossbanks,Lowfield and Kirkland with son David born c1792 in Torpenhow. Other children include John c1787, Jane c1789, Mary c1794 and Eleanor c1797 all born in Torpenhow.
Is there anyone else researching this family?
Regards Maria
Clark/Co Down/Cumberland/Durham
Wilson/Co Down/Cumberland
Rooney/Co Down/Cumberland/Durham
Brennan/Ireland/Durham
Ford/Galway/Cumberland/Derbyshire/Yorkshire/Durham
Daley/Ireland/Cumberland
Graham/Cumberland
Armstrong/Cumberland
Rudd/Cumberland
Brough/Cumberland
Gash/Cumberland
Fairbrother/Gloucester/Cumberland

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Researching Graham and Armstrong
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 May 06 17:22 BST (UK) »
I think you will find the Armstrongs and Grahams were both "reiver" families.  If you do a search rootschat with "reiver" you will comre up with a number of useful threads for your families

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maria1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 May 06 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you David
Regards Maria
Brennan/Ireland/Durham
Daley/Ireland/Cumberland
Graham/Cumberland
Armstrong/Cumberland
Rudd/Cumberland
Brough/Cumberland
Gash/Cumberland

Offline postman

• RootsChat Member
  • If you can't do the time,don't do the crime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 06 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Maria
             My GGG Grandmother was a Margaret Graham born 1852 workington? she married a John Warwick born 1836ish in Branthwaite or Dean. Ive found her in 1881 with children living in Workington but can't get any further back.
                                  Dave
Brotherton-Yorks,Warwick-Cumbria ,Maud ,Street, Mellow,Owen-Shrops,Topping,Bray-Staffs,Cranage, Gobbi,Busfield,Graham,Wolstenholme,Farr-Bradford,Brain-Altofts and warmfield, Bartle-Bradford,ingamells-Lincs,wilby-wakefield

Offline Maria1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 September 06 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave
Sorry I have taken so long to reply, but my comp has been in for repair for the last two weeks. The nearest Margaret I have is born in 1858 and she did not marry a John Warwick. I did find the following Margaret Warwick in the 1891 census. But not sure if this is yours. If you do not have Ancestry I will be happy to look for you, but will need more info.
Regards
Maria

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.
Brennan/Ireland/Durham
Daley/Ireland/Cumberland
Graham/Cumberland
Armstrong/Cumberland
Rudd/Cumberland
Brough/Cumberland
Gash/Cumberland

Offline postman

• RootsChat Member
  • If you can't do the time,don't do the crime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 September 06 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Maria
            The family of warwicks is mine William L warwick is my Gt-Grandfather. the marriage of Margaret Graham could possibly be connected, didn't the john have a surname and do you think there is a connection.
                      Thanks a Lot
                           Dave

Brotherton-Yorks,Warwick-Cumbria ,Maud ,Street, Mellow,Owen-Shrops,Topping,Bray-Staffs,Cranage, Gobbi,Busfield,Graham,Wolstenholme,Farr-Bradford,Brain-Altofts and warmfield, Bartle-Bradford,ingamells-Lincs,wilby-wakefield

Offline p_clough

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 March 07 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have my GGgrandparents marriage certificate Robert Graham and Margaret Armstrong married 25/12/1852 in the Church at Cockermouth. Both aged 26yrs. Father of Robert is David Graham blacksmith and Father of Margaret is George Armstrong labourer.

I did find David Graham a blacksmith in the 1841 census with his wife Margaret and children John, Thomas, Ann and Margaret.
I believe David Grahams Father to be Thomas Graham born c1760.  Most of the family seem to have been born in Torpenhow.

I also found a family on the IGI for a Thomas Graham c1760 and Eleanor Armstrong c1762 both born in Crossbanks,Lowfield and Kirkland with son David born c1792 in Torpenhow. Other children include John c1787, Jane c1789, Mary c1794 and Eleanor c1797 all born in Torpenhow.
Is there anyone else researching this family?
Regards Maria

Hi Maria,

A bit of a vague link here.  If you go to http://www.cloughie.com/www/indiI446.html you'll see one of my wifes ancestors, George Graham, and his details. He is brother to your David, uncle of your Robert. I haven't chased up the IGI references in the Torpenhow PR's yet, so I'm at the same stage as you, it's a bit speculative. But if you want to swap details on the siblings, feel free to PM me. It's always worth knowing who's looking at the same people, incase something crops up!

Cheers,

Paul.

Offline Maria1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 March 07 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Paul
We have made contact through the genes re-united site. Thank you for the offer though.
Regards
Maria
Brennan/Ireland/Durham
Daley/Ireland/Cumberland
Graham/Cumberland
Armstrong/Cumberland
Rudd/Cumberland
Brough/Cumberland
Gash/Cumberland

Offline johnbarleycorn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 April 07 00:54 BST (UK) »
Maria1,

Very interesting. I've been trying to find a baptism for my John Graham born c1790 who lived in Gilcrux, Torpenhow and Plumbland. There are so many John Grahams to choose from that this is a rather difficult process, but I hadn't spotted one in Torpenhow itself. I'd be interested to know if you have any further details on the son John c1787, if only so I can rule him out. My John Graham married an Esther Sharp.

All the best,
JB.