Author Topic: Sharing my dissappointment  (Read 1747 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Sharing my dissappointment
« on: Sunday 07 May 06 03:54 BST (UK) »
My grandmother and her family had lived in the same house since about 1890 or so, she was born there as was my mother.  My grandmother died in 1983 and my mother had no choice but to sell the house.  My parents had built our house right beside my grandmother's in 1973 so both homes were "my home".  My sister lives in my parents house now with her family and she informed me tonight that the "new" neighbors had moved in from the previous owner, they are the 4th since my mum sold it.  Anyways, I guess they are doing renovations to it and took down a wall, well they found some old coins, which are apparently very old and rare  :(  .  I am 99% positive that they would have been my family's.  Sometimes I wish my sister didn't live there anymore and I wouldn't have to know what was happening to the house.

Would I be wrong in thinking that if they found something else and they knew it belonged to living relatives they should return it, not the money, that's finder's keepers, but a book or letter or something of that nature?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing my dissappointment
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 May 06 06:12 BST (UK) »

Unfortunately they are not legally obliged to return letters or even jewelry, but you could pay them a visit and ask them nicely if they found any letters would they please let you have them as you are very interested in these.

You can only try

Barbara             8)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 May 06 06:23 BST (UK) »
I agree with Barbara, why not approach them  and explain the interest that you have in the house and if they should find any letters or papers that maybe relevant to your Grandparents would you be able to see them before they throw them out. Many times the direct approach is the best approach.

jericho :)
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 May 06 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barbara and Jericho,

I'll ask my sister to mention to them that if they perhaps find something like that if they would let her know. 

I am so thankful that when my grandmother did die I followed up on a old story from my mother that there were big trunks in the wall, I pulled down some of the panelling and went searching through the insulation, I didn't find the trunks, but a box full of pictures and postcards from the 1890's-1915.  I was only 13 when she died.  So, I am sure there are other treasuers inside the walls  :)

Thanks again,
Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 May 06 23:45 BST (UK) »

Would I be wrong in thinking that if they found something else and they knew it belonged to living relatives they should return it, not the money, that's finder's keepers, but a book or letter or something of that nature?

Karen

Hi Karen,
 I don't think finders keepers is law at all, especially with money , and any valuable items such as jewelry

This is what I always been  led to believe ; just because you find something on your property it certainly doesn't mean that you can keep it by law.

One of the reasons I'm led to believe this is  years ago my parents found some gold coins in their garden - my father was turning/digging  up the earth in the garden. The house is not old ( it was a new house they bought- they were the first owners ) but obviously the ground is old  - he found a few very old  gold coins and kept quiet about it because of the crown laws .He gave one to me to put away , which I still have (each coin is valued at a few hundred pounds today) , he also  gave one to my mother who had it mounted into a necklace.

I think  treasure hunters who find lots of valuable coins etc have to declare their find to the crown . 

It's worth checking out this link regarding this:
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/keeping_lost_found_and_uncollected_goods.htm

quote "Procedure for obtaining the right to sell

If the finder wants to sell the goods they must take reasonable steps to trace the original owner if they, or their whereabouts, is unknown. This depends on the circumstances, but might include placing advertisements in local newspapers, notices on local community notice boards or contacting a trade association if the owner has a business.
If the finder has taken reasonable steps to trace the owner, but without success, they can sell the goods. It is worth keeping a note of what the finder did to trace the owner.

If the finder traces the original owner they must give the owner reasonable time to collect the goods. If the owner of the goods owes the finder money, for example, for repair to the goods, this time period should be at least three months"

Maybe you should phone the citizens advice bureau (which used to be a free call within the UK) and ask them if they know what your rights are, ask them if you and your family do have any legal rights regarding your grandmother's hidden   possessions.

I'd be very surprised if you and your family  have no legal rights at all regarding your grandmother's  possessions . I'm not a lawyer, so I certainly do not know the laws for sure-  except finder's keepers is not a law  and just because you find something on your property doesn't mean you can definitely keep it either .

If I were you I'd certainly check out what my legal rights are  to see if I do have any or not -  just in case the people in the house are unwilling to hand anything over to you  of which is of  great importance to you  ( such as their letters,photo's etc)

Good luck
 :)

P.S. I've just looked at you profile and you're in Canada - I'm assuming the house is in Britain, if not I haven't got a clue about Canada.
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 May 06 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Cell,

That's interesting.  I am in Canada as is the house.  Most Canadian laws are based on British laws.  I'll have to check into that here and see if there is something similar.

Thanks again,
Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England