Author Topic: Marriage in South Newton  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
Marriage in South Newton
« on: Sunday 07 May 06 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hello List,

Looking for a marriage between a John Davis and an Eliza in South Newton around say 1835-1838.  According to the 1841 census their first child, Harry, was born in 1838 and their next one, Sarah, was born in 1840. I would to find out Eliza's maiden name, details of witnesses at the wedding and details of any other children. ::)

Thanks
Karenn from down under :)
Durnford and  Woodford in Wiltshire, Leckford, Stockbridge and Basingstoke in Hampshire. North, Waters, Davis, Alsop/Sopp, Hayter, Harris, Dear, Dyke, Stride and Wright.

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in South Newton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Karenn,

Don't know if this is much help.

I have transcripts of South Newton  baptisms up to 1837 and John Davis was not baptized in South Newton.   Davis is a very common name and, without reference to the marriage certificate, it will be difficult to find where John was baptized.   I have a Davis family in my tree and they moved from Downton to Wilton in about 1810 - my John Davis would be too young to be your John.   I have several marriages between people from Wilton and people from the South Newton area.

If the marriage to Eliza followed the customs of the time it is probable that South Newton was the bride's parish and that is where she was born.   The IGI lists marriages up to 1836 for South Newton so your marriage occurred after this date if at South Newton.   If we assume that Eliza was between 20 and 30 at the time of the marriage you have the following possibilities:-
Eliza Blake born 8/12/1811  James & Rebecca
Eliza Street - 19/06/1814  William&Prudence
Eliza Sherlock - 19/01/1816  Thomas & Elizabeth
Eliza Ford  -  11/04/1817  Elias & Anne
Eliza Parker - 23/11/1817  William & Phoebe
Eliza Blake 18/01/1818  James & Sarah

Perhaps the last of these with the mother Sarah is the most promising.

It is possible that the marraiage was after the start of civil registration, in which case you could get the certificate.   There will certainly be certificates for the children;  for instance there is a birth registered for Sarah Ann Davis in the April to June cycle in 1840 for the Wilton district which includes South Newton.

Hope some of this is useful, best wishes

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Colin,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I didn't realize there were going to be so many possibilities! :-[

According to the 1841 census, she was born around 1816. She has a visitor recorded in the census named Ann North. If I have the right family, I'm hoping that this Eliza is Ann's sister which would make her maiden name 'Waters'.

Can you please look for an Eliza/Elizabeth WATERS born around 1816 given that the date might be out by 5 years? :D If it is her, then her father's name would be William, mother unknown. I have never been able to find where Ann was born (1813/14) or who her mother was so this would be a big break through if I can find her family in South Newton.  ;D

By the way, Ann's mother-in-law was also a Davis, Elisabeth from Durnford, born 1786. Do you have any folk in Durnford?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Karenn  :D
Durnford and  Woodford in Wiltshire, Leckford, Stockbridge and Basingstoke in Hampshire. North, Waters, Davis, Alsop/Sopp, Hayter, Harris, Dear, Dyke, Stride and Wright.

Offline nicky c

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Karren,

Just had a look for your Elizabeth Waters, and have found this info which might have had already,

Elizabth Waters born 6th July 1823 at Nuton with Bodenham

parents William Waters and Sarah Waters.

Nunton is about 2 miles out of Salisbury granted the opposite side to South

Offline nicky c

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 14:53 BST (UK) »
 sent be mistake before I finished

should read South Newton.

I hope this might of some help, get in touch as I live in Salisbury and South Newton is about 10 mins away.
                                Regards

Nicky

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Karenn,

Sorry, no help with Waters.   There are no Waters baptisms after 1675 in South Newton.  [also, no Norths in parish register].

Thanks for comment re-Durnford.   Have had a look but no luck.   I am looking for Richard Davis born about 1750 who subsequently was  married in Downton in 1777. 

If you have any further queries, please ask.

Best wishes,

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Nicky and Colin,
After the clues you have given me I went back and had another look on the IGI and found Eliza and John's marriage in Salisbury.  Her name is Biles and the son, Harry is actually called Henry Biles Davis, born 1838 in South Newton.  So that solves that mystery but not the answer I was hoping for. :'(

I thought I was on the right track when a Ann North turned up at their house on census night. Could still by my Ann but have noway of knowing.

Anyway, EIlzabeth Waters that was born in 1823 in Nuton is a good prospect.  Nicky, if you have the means to look at any of her sibblings, I'm also looking for a Joseph Waters that was the witness at Ann's wedding. Maybe a brother?

Thanks again both of you.

Karenn  :D

Offline minxx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 09:40 BST (UK) »
Karenn
Harry Biles Davis was my g-g-grandfather.  Is he a direct ancestors of yours?
Regards.
minxx

Offline Karenn

• RootsChat Member
  • The NORTH Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Minxx,

No afraid not. I don't suppose your Harry ended up in Sydney around mid 1850's?

Regards
Karenn