Author Topic: Blocked Cookies  (Read 71237 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Blocked Cookies
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I've tried duplicating the problem unsuccessfully. It's possible that a corrupted cookie is causing the problem you could try a program CCleaner which amongst other things can give you a complete list of all cookies on your system (Firefox and IE) and if necessary delete them.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 19 January 06 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn

Thanks for that - I think I'll get hold of CCleaner as it could well be handy for other sites too. I run AdAware, which seems to get rid of dodgy tracking cookies for me, but keepijng an eye on what is arriving on my machine seems to be very useful  :)

As it happens, I got in fine this morning. Trystan looked at my cookies and it appears I had 2 - one for December and one for January. I only seem to have one at the moment, so all is well and I'm keeping my fingers crossed  ::)

Thanks again for your help and support

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Alex_Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I am having the same problems that Angela had. When I try to log on I get a message to check my cookie settings. Deleting the rootschat cookie and the logging on by entering my username and password works, but I have to do this EVERY time I want to use Rootschat. The machine is a PC with Windows XP and IE6 plus Norton antivirus 2006. I have a laptop with Norton 2005 and this works fine - ie it rembembers me when I log in. Could this problem be anything to do with Norton and if so what settings should I be looking for?

Alex_Wood
Wood, Aucterless, ABD
Milne, Aberdeen, ABD
Williams, Newnham, Gatcombe(Lydney),Berkeley, GLS
Johnstone, Rerrick, KKD
Johnstone, Gloucester, GLS
Johnstone, Lancaster, LAN
Stevens, Trowbridge, WIL

Offline Gragareth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 15 June 06 21:40 BST (UK) »
My 5 year old Windows ME operating system I've set-up for cookies as follows.
Start tab> Settings> Control Panel> Internet Options>Privacy tab>advanced,
and check Over-ride Auto Cookie Handling.  On this same box are 3 options under name  First Party [cookies]. I've checked Accept.
Under another 3 options is name  Third Party [cookies], I've checked Block.  Had it so for nearly 5 years, and all been well.
Gragareth.
Binns, Howgate, Lister, Mountain, Pickles, Procter, Hall, at Leeds.   Bowron at Barnard Castle<br />Co.Durham.  Cordingley, Crosthwaite, Hardwick, Kilburn, Thompson, Turton,  nr Methley,Rothwell and Whitkirk nr Leeds.  Hall at Hull.  Pottage, Key, Risdale, at Lincs.<br />Links to Howgate at Wigan. Cookson at Huddersfield. Mountain at Otley area.

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 20 January 07 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Not read all of this topic - but I can get in fine on IE6 but not Firefox - I could until I "played" around with the cookies on Firefox - must have deleted RC one!!
Now I get a message saying  to check cookie settings - which I think are correct - I can only get into RC now using IE6.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 20 January 07 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

When this happened to me, I had to View the cookies and find the ones for RootsChat. There should be 2 - one expiring at the end of the session and the other expiring around 2012.

If, like me, the second cookie has an expired date that is past, you wont be able to get in. Delete it and it should recreate properly when you next go in.

Good luck

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 20 January 07 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Works fine now - I deleted some cookies "just for fun" - but particularly left the RC one in!!  ::) ::)

Keith

Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 20 January 07 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

Glad it's working! Now I'm used to Firefox, I MUCH prefer it to IE and wouldn't dream of going back. The only dificulty is finding the right add-in to view graphical data on the of the sites - took me a while to find the right one for OriginsNetwork  ;D

Best wishes

Angela

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 20 January 07 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Yes that is part of the trouble with switching browers - I like the "tab" feature on Firefox - I can open 4 census records in one window - but can't use the "hand" to move up and down or the enlarge part of text  - as in IE6!!

Never satisfied me!!

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails