Author Topic: SPARLING  (Read 2052 times)

Offline twiss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SPARLING
« on: Sunday 07 May 06 16:19 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out which ISAAC SPARLING was the father of my Ggrandmother CHARLOTTE SPARLING b.c. 1826 @ WEST BUTTERWICK. It could be Isaac b.1802 @ BELTON-IN-AXEHOLME ( wife--Elizabeth, parents--John and Mary) or Isaac b. @ LUDDINGTON, 1796.

I would be most grateful if anyone has any info on the Sparlings. Thank you,

Twiss.
Simpson,( @Ightfield,Calverhall,Salop)
Parry (@ Myddle,Burlton,Salop)
Malam (Salop)
Key/Keay (@Whixall,Prees,Salop)
Hawke (@Elsecar,Hoober,Leeds,Yks.)
Pickard (@Leeds,Yks.)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SPARLING
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 May 06 17:57 BST (UK) »
The IGI states her mother's name was Elizabeth

CHARLOTTA SPARLING   
Christening:  09 OCT 1826   West Butterwick, Lincoln
Father:  ISAAC SPARLING 
Mother:  ELIZABETH 

with potential siblings born in Luddington from 1828 to 1834.

Elizabeth Sparling aged 31 was buried in Luddington 10th April 1834 and on 28th July 1834 so was Hannah Sparling aged 5 months.

No sign of either Isaacs' burials on the National Burial Index pre 1837 but then Isaac born Luddington didn't die until 1882 in Yorkshire. He may have been in Yorkshire from at least the 1841 census working as a farm labourer and railway navvy, but giving a younger age and place of birth in Yorkshire. Could this mean that Luddington born Isaac and Belton born Isaac were actually the same man? Have you a baptism for an Isaac Sparling in Luddington (IGI coverage 1599-1843)?

There is also an Isaac Sparling buried Scotter 25th January 1867 aged 58 on the NBI (an older Isaac Sparling died Scotter in 1846 aged 76).

Have you a marriage for Isaac and Elizabeth?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline twiss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 06 00:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Valda for taking the time to look things up.I've searched the IGI Batch Nos. for a baptism for "Luddington" Isaac and a marriage to Elizabeth to no avail. I did previously find the Scotter Sparlings, but am not sure yet where they fit in.
On the 1841, Charlotte was at Gainsboro', and there is a death for an Isaac Sparling there in 1846, although by this time Charlotte had married Henry Levitt at Eastrington, I think I will send for his death cert., as the informant might shed some light on the matter.
I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, if you do come across anything relevant, I would wecome any info.
regards, Twiss.
Malam (Salop)
Pickard (@Leeds,Yks.)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 May 06 06:53 BST (UK) »
Scotter registers in Gainsborough registration district. The 1846 death is Isaac aged 76 who I've already mentioned. He is on the 1841 census with his wife Margaret in Scotter (death registration Gainsborough 1850). He is circa 67 and a carpenter in 1841 and she is circa 70. I haven't a clue who the later Isaac Sparling is whose burial is in Scotter in 1867. Haven't picked him up on any censuses.
I would try the Lincolnshire Family History Society for a marriage of an Isaac to an Elizabeth. I imagine they have, like many family history society's, a county wide marriage index up to 1837. My experience of Lincolnshire FHS is that they have indexed almost all standard records for the county. If I had Lincolnshire roots I would certainly be a member of the county society - chicken feed to join an you get the journals as well.

Regards

Valda

Offline twiss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda.
 I think I must try to find the marriage of Isaac and Elizabeth.

I notice that there's a Family History Society for the Isle of Axholme which includes all the villages that I've mentioned. Do you think they would have more localised info. than joining the Lincs Society?

Regards Twiss.
Malam (Salop)
Pickard (@Leeds,Yks.)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 21:09 BST (UK) »
Google each one and check out their websites for further details.

Regards

Valda