Author Topic: Missing G.Grandfather.  (Read 1516 times)

Offline anner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing G.Grandfather.
« on: Monday 08 May 06 12:18 BST (UK) »
This is a silly question. What is the likelihood of finding a death cert. for my g.grandfather. Robert Wilson b.ireland 1863, married Maryhill Glasgow 1885.
He was a conscript from Ireland in 1883, posted to Scotland. He was then posted to England (his wife accompanied) and his two children stayed in Scotland with his wifes parents. All this I can confirm. At Woolwich he deserted and then rejioned, imprisoned etc. Then posted onto Aldershot and in 1900 again he deserted. and I assume was never caught, as no more entries are on his army papers.
I cannot find any married Roberts on the 1891 census, and as his wife was with him I cannot find her either.
On the 1901, again nothing but I assume they were lying low.
I know from his sons marriage cert that he had died prior to 1917. His wife returned to Scotland where she died in 1940, although not sure when she went back.
 My problem is has anyone any ideas how to go about finding his death cert. I have opened nearly every one in Scotland and England but none are right.
The only clue to him is on his wifes death cert. he is Robert Clark Wilson, transcribed by my Nan ( now deceased). Is this going to be one that will never be found.
Any ideas or suggestions gratefully recieved. And thanking people in advance.
Regards
Anner.
Scotland:Ross, Wilson, Slater, Reid, White.
England: Todd, Butterworth, Bearpark, Angell, Spreadborough,
to name but a few.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Missing G.Grandfather.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 06 17:40 BST (UK) »
Just a thought.  Have you searched the death records for Clark?  Robert might have dropped his surname to avoid being found by the redcaps.

Good luck
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing G.Grandfather.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 06 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip,
Many thanks for your reply. I have tried without success for variations of Robert Wilson, trying R. Clark Wilson, Clark Wilson and Robert Clark all without success. When he hid, he and his wife did a proper job of it.
 I am not going to give up on him. Just wish the next census was out sooner to see when his wife ended up back in Scotland, as I am almost hoping she is on the next one with or without him as that will narrow the years down a bit.
Also can anyone tell me if he would have had to be transcribed with his real name on the death cert. As when his wife died she was transcribed as a Wilson, and I cant see any point in putting an alias.
Just me thinking again and trying to understand minds from so long ago.  :-\

Scotland:Ross, Wilson, Slater, Reid, White.
England: Todd, Butterworth, Bearpark, Angell, Spreadborough,
to name but a few.