Author Topic: Identify Uniform and year?  (Read 2027 times)

Offline lenawylie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Identify Uniform and year?
« on: Monday 08 May 06 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

Whilst searching through many old photographs at the weekend, we found this photo and we aren't too sure who it is. Anyway,  to give us some clues can anyone identify the uniform or the era it may have been taken?  any info would help greatly.  Sorry it isn't very good quality, it is a photo of a photo and we have no idea who has the original.

Don't know if this would help but my great grandfather was in the 19th Hussars, could this be him? by 1901 he was a gardener though.

Thanks in advance
Kindest regards
lena
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Identify Uniform and year?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 May 06 15:48 BST (UK) »
the helmet and uniform date from around that period,what was his name,he looks like hes been wounded,apart from the cane,he seems to be reliant on the chair for support,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline lenawylie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 May 06 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Mack

You are right, now I look at it he does look like he is using the chair for support.  His name (if that is him) was George Worsdale, he was in the 19th Hussars in 1890 (when he married) and 1891 but had left by 1901.  He was born in 1868.

I tried looking on the internet for any pictures of uniforms from the era but nothing similar came up.

Kind regards
Lena

Offline Mick James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lena,
Hope you see this  :). I have attached a photo of L/R my granma Lizzie worsdale, GG granddad George Henry Worsdale, GG Grandma Annie Worsdale, my Grandad James Dennis Worsdale, Doreen and Reenie??? and my Aunt Daphne Pearl, now Pugliese. Aunt Daphne sent me the photo from the states, she's 88!!! Uncle Derek is doing OK, I think he must be 86 now. My father Basil unfortunately past away in 2012. To add to the pain the council had emptied the house before I got news of his death. There were apparently a lot of family papers etc. in the house which are all now destroyed, they would have been of great interest to the family. I'd love more photo's of the family if you have any.
That photo you posted I will print off and send to Aunt Daphne, maybe she can throw some light on it. She tells me they used visit the family in knebworth fairly often.
Here's hoping you see this post :).
Regards
Mick

Offline Mick James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
OK its not letting me attach the photo :(. I'll try post it in another place.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 January 14 10:15 GMT (UK) »
He is wearing warm weather tropical clothing with a white pith helmet.  I would suggest India in the 1890s-early 1900s.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 January 14 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick

The original poster hasn't been on for more than two years. But they may get an email telling them of your post.

One change since 2006 is that George's army record is now available on Findmypast. He previously served in the Militia and that record is there too. He married Annie Cripps in 1890 and served in the East Indies from 1891 to 1893. He returned to be transferred to the Army Reserve to see out the remaining time of his 12 years entitlement. He did not receive an injury that required he leant against the chair for support.

Ken

Offline Mick James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 January 14 13:04 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Offline lenawylie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 January 14 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Mi Mick,

How lovely to hear from you! So sorry to hear about Basil, what a terrible shame they cleared his house out. My mum Davina was in contact with Derek a few years back. I have information on the Worsdale family I'd be happy to email to you. It's a fair few years since I've done any family history so I'm a bit rusty and a  sure there's a lot more info out there to be found now. If you send me a personal message with your email address we can discuss the Worsdales some more.

Take care
Lena