Author Topic: Master Hairdressers  (Read 76442 times)

Offline Annbee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Master Hairdressers
« Reply #63 on: Monday 24 July 23 23:40 BST (UK) »
A fascinating thread. Only male hairdressers seem to figure so I'm not optimistic I'll hear answers to my query about hairdressers.

To be a female hairdresser, in her own business, would that be unusual in the 1890s to early 1900s?

My great Aunt wasn't described as Master Hairdresser but she did run a shop in Bradford where hairdressing seemed the main game and tobacco was also sold. She was a stay at home wife until her husband went bankrupt and disappeared in the 80s, leaving her with 3 small children.

She was a milliner before she married, her Warwickshire parents had been well off but fallen on hard times and had died when she was young, so I assume she had grit.

I have no idea if she did an apprenticeship in hairdressing; with 3 toddling infants, husband's debts to pay and running a failing tobacconist shop, it doesn't sound as if she'd have the time!

But she managed to turn things around, presumably by introducing hairdressing.

Her eldest son also became a hairdresser too. (He died too young, shortly after his mother, from depression it sounds like.)

Does anyone else have a female hairdresser working in the 1890s? And know anything of their work practice?
Warwickshire: BEACH/BACHE, COX Gloucestershire: HAIL, VOYCE, TURNER, WINCHCOMBE, PREEN, Worcestershire: WEBB, CHARE, TYLER, Fife: FOWLER, JOHNSTONE, MELVILLE, Lanarkshire/Dunbartonshire: GRAHAM, CHALMERS, LANG, BISHOP, Sweden/Hamburg/London/Birmingham: HOKANSON