Author Topic: 1891 Birth Lookup CHILD in Waterford?  (Read 8208 times)

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
1891 Birth Lookup CHILD in Waterford?
« on: Monday 08 May 06 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can any kind soul tell me if there is any evidence of a family named CHILD in Waterford in 1891? Sorry, but I cant say if its County Waterford or Waterford itself we should be looking at.

I am trying to confirm the family of a Nahneen Helen Yvonne CHILD, who told her daughter - now 82! - that she was born in Waterford on the 24th July 1891. Daughter  cannot recall anything else much except that there was a big bunch of about 7 or eight children and that there may have been some connection to the Power brewing family - . We have her fathers name as Henry William CHILD  from her  1914 marriage certificate but can find no secure information on him either. save that he was 'of Independant means'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Colin
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Waterford Child family 1890
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 06 13:11 BST (UK) »
Another Roots chat star has sugegsted that a George Child shown elsewhere as of Widford may have been from Waterford.

He was the faher of one daughter born in 1891.

Can any kind soul help?

Colin
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 Birth Lookup CHILD in Waterford?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 06 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hiya Colin,

I had a look at Griffiths Valuation for Waterford. 1848-51 failteromhat.com There were no families named Child. Irish Ancestors surnames (also based on the Valuations) produced two families with the surname Child. One in Belfast City and one in Co. Meath.

It might be worthwhile trying both Waterford City Library and Waterford County Library HQ at Lismore
Do you know anything about Nahneen's mother? Since there appear to have been so few families named Child in Ireland I wonder whether either the Belfast family or the Co. Meath family are related to your Waterford family? Please let me know what reply you get from the libraries.

All the Best, Chris

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 August 06 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hiya Christopher!

Thanks for your help.

Nope, thats the problem. Nahneen was very secretive about her parentage. Only on her deathbed did she say anything and all she did say was of no help "speak to solicitor Sarl (sic) who has information for you."

Her marriage certs refer to, on one, her father as being Henry William CHILD and on the other William Henry CHILD! No address given. 'Of independednt means' (ergo alive) in 1914, but 'Deceased' in 1923.

It is surmise on our part (me and her daughter) that her Mums reaction at hearing of the death of "Diana" was extreme for other than a close relative and they were born within at most 5 years - at least possibly a month, of one another.

I'll try those two sites right away.

All such ideas welcome!

Colin

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 August 06 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hei Colin,

Send an e-mail to the librarian at both the City and County Library. I find librarians are usually extremely helpful and in addition to any information they may be able to find for you they may make one or two suggestions regarding other people who may be able to assist you. I'm just off the phone with a friend who lives a few miles from Waterford. She's a member of Rootschat too. She agreed that trying the libraries was a good idea.

I've just seen a Colonel Childe of 7, Mount Charles, Belfast in the 1861 Directory of Belfast and the Province of Ulster which is online (google Lennon Wylie). I saw your message on Genforum mentioning the British East India Company. This Company had their own troops so Colonel Childe of Belfast may have been with the BEIC. We may have problems verifying this as the Directory omitted to mention any Christian names or give any initials. Mount Charles was (and still is) an area where the well to do of Belfast lived. There are beautiful properties in the area. I suppose if we can discover no more about the Colonel by any other means we may be able to learn about him through his Mount Charles property. I have no knowledge of how one goes about that but I am prepared to learn. 

All the Best, Chris   

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 August 06 15:58 BST (UK) »
Ok Chris

Thanks. i already did to the Library at Waterford City and I am working my way through County's links. Ill follow it up.

Thanks again

Colin

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 August 06 17:52 BST (UK) »
Colin,

I've found a Captain Childe son of Edith and the late Colonel L. Childe (Indian Medical Service}
I am not sure if we are on the right track. What do you think about Childe as opposed to Child?

Chris

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 August 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
Yes, you got me!

Where and when was he found, Chris?

Childe is only a pronunciation difference, Childs too.

What were his forenames?

Colin... on tenterhooks!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 August 06 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hiya Colin,

Captain CHARLES MURRAY CHILDE (aged 21)  - Died of wounds 21st March 1916 - 8th Battalion
Son of Edith and the late Lieut-Colonel L. Childe (Indian Medical Service).
Buried at Merville Communal Cemetery, Nord.

Captain Childe was a member of the Gloucestershire Regiment.

I have just looked in the 1880 Directory of Belfast and Province of Ulster. There were two people named Child.

James Child, overseer, 11 Whitla Street
Mrs. Child, 35 Botanic Avenue. That's close to Mount Charles where the Colonel was in 1861.
I wonder if she would be the Colonel's widow. She might have moved to a smaller property when he died.

Chris