Author Topic: 1891 Birth Lookup CHILD in Waterford?  (Read 8207 times)

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 Birth Lookup CHILD in Waterford?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 August 06 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris.

I'll have to check on the location of the Glosters and the Colonels postings. My Nahneens first father in Law was a Col in the Army Medical service too - he was a Julian Hayes, son of Patrick Hayes of Tipperaray but they lived in Kent.

I suppose that while the Captain is not the father for my girls he was born 1895 so he could be a brother - they were born  1890 &/or 1891 according to their Court statements and birthdates. Diana said in her Court statement she was 35. She said she had married the Baronet in the Dec Quarter of 1906, when she was 16. Nahneen had always told her daughter she was born in July 1891. I am thinking that this could atually make them twins and that migt make then easier to find?

The fact that my girls, like me, had 3 forenames suggests they were Catholic - only suggests, note ;-) - and the Captain did not so that equally suggests he was not Catholic.

The girls claimed their father was George (Dana) and Henry William/William Henry (Nahneen).

The names worry me! Nahneen is unique but it is a soundex for the irish name Nanine. Dianas real names began with Algorta (accoring to her FREEBMD marriage record / Burkes). Algorta is equaly unique as a forename - its the name of a beach rsort just outside of Bilbao i northern spain. Who would know that? ow?

Thanks for your continuing. Please rememeber by other Irish interests if and when youi ae i GRONI and ever have a free moment - My Gt Grandpa was J G Pentland born 1873 Lurgan, son of Robert & Anne Beattie née McLelland. Roberts father was John Pentland son, we believe of George Willia Pentland and Marry Allison ARMOR Graham of Gilford area / Drumaran, Tulylish, Down. Johns sister, Mary, was the mother of George Pentland Draney subsequently a leader in the Mormon church. We dont 'know' of any other siblings but habve loads of candidates! This element of my family is on the back burner at pres!

Colin
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
UPDATE... CHILD from Waterford?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 January 09 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Chris

I dont know if you remember but I was seeking the origins of two ladies, both with the surname Child.

I now know almost certainly that they were sisters.

I now also know that their forenames (which were at times swapped around and changed later) were:

Algorta Blanche Marjorie born c. 1889
Nahneen Helen Yvonne born 24 jul 1891

Algorta must have come to London before 1906, when she married. She said she had broken with her husband before she was 18 (1907).

April 2nd 1911 finds them together at 10 Mills Buildings, Knightsbridge, London where they said they were born in Ireland.

Any ideas how I can now refine this, please?

Colin

COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 January 09 20:29 GMT (UK) »
See that you have numerous posts on various sites searching for Child family but can't see that there is any proven connection to Waterford yet.
This post lists father George William Child as father of Algorta and Nahneen:
http://genforum.com/cgi-bin/print.cgi?child::393.html
Is the only definite reference to Ireland the girls listing their birthplaces as Ireland in 1911 census?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 January 09 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Nope, and thanks for your interest!

These two girls... or the daughter of one of them (now 84) believes there was a connection but that George was referred to by Mum (NHYC) as "Uncle" but then all of our parents friends were Uncle and Aunty in those days and for many years after :-)

The Irish origin is well proven by the 1911 record and by BMAs Prison record as well as by NHY to her daughter off hand - she never told her anything about her origins/parents etc.

As to Waterford specifically that's the place the daughter (my Cuz) recalls being mentioned and, as someone else here first suggested the origin ABMC's father stated at the Register office marriage in 1906 was "Widford" which could sound like Waterford. These girls were properly brought up riding with horses and show jumping, well spoken without any strong Irish accent. They had language skills and graces evident even now from the photographs.

There are other rumours which are too tenuous to work on... in my view... but since the 1911 confirms the origin in terms of country and that complies with the previous rumour (save the prison record) and since .ie is progressing with accessibility I hoped Chris, who is knowledgeable on Irish matters and has been very helpful in the past, might have some suggestions?

Colin