Author Topic: 45th Regiment of Foot  (Read 4409 times)

Offline rob.loasby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
45th Regiment of Foot
« on: Monday 08 May 06 23:25 BST (UK) »
After the Peninsular War, I understand that they went to Ireland. Can anyone tell me where?

I'm trying to trace the marriage of my ancestor George Alsop, whose Military General Service Medal is on display in the Sherwood Forester's Museum (mainly because it has bars for the battles at Talavera, Busaco, Fuented D'Onor, Cuidad Rodrigo, Badajoz, Salamanca, Vittoria, Pyrenees, Nivelle, Nive, Orthos and Toulouse).

I know that he married before he left Ireland to join the 4th Veterans Battalion prior to discharge, but have yet to find out where the marriage took place. I'm hoping that there might be a record of where the 45th were so that I can dig a bit deeper. (I'm also given to understand that they were in Ireland at the time of Waterloo because they couldn't get any transport to get them to Belgium!)

Any help gratefully received!
Searching for:

UK:
Loasby (Norfolk & Northants), Alsop (Notts, Yorks), Henton (Notts, Derbys, Leics), Hill (Notts, Derbys), Shail (Ireland)
Poland (Galicia):
Gawel, Chalupa, Swica, Winicki/Winicka

Offline PassionPlay

• RootsChat Senior
  • There was a hush in the passion play
    • View Profile
Re: 45th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

A brief history of the 45th here http://freespace.virgin.net/stephen.mee/45th_regiment.htm which I picked up from http://regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/045-751.htm which also recommends some books which you may find in the library.

Someone may yet come up with something more concrete for you though  ;)

Steph.
Beer (Kent)
Hall/Halle  (Stafford/Enfield/Folkestone)
Richards (Kent)
Silk (Kent)
Southan/Southen/Southern/Southon (Kent)
And more (there are always more!)

All census info: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Join Stumble and lure others into Rootschat!

Offline rob.loasby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

A brief history of the 45th here http://freespace.virgin.net/stephen.mee/45th_regiment.htm which I picked up from http://regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/045-751.htm which also recommends some books which you may find in the library.

Someone may yet come up with something more concrete for you though  ;)

Steph.

Steph,

Thanks for that. Some good reading on those links. His last battle honour was at Toulouse, and the chronology places the 45th in Ireland from 1814. I know that he was discharged from the 45th in 1818 and they had their first son in Dumbarton while he was still in the 4th Veterans, so that all narrows the time-frame substantially.

Just need to find out where in Ireland they were.

I've been told of a history of the 45th written around 1900 by Col. Dalbiac, late of the Sherwood Foresters, so will have a read of it in the Records Office. :)

Many thanks
Searching for:

UK:
Loasby (Norfolk & Northants), Alsop (Notts, Yorks), Henton (Notts, Derbys, Leics), Hill (Notts, Derbys), Shail (Ireland)
Poland (Galicia):
Gawel, Chalupa, Swica, Winicki/Winicka

Offline r1Hudson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 11 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,

Were you able to find out anything about the whereabouts of the regiment in Ireland? My ancestor Edward Darby was a private in the regiment 1795-1810 and I think he married and had children during that time - Ireland seems the logical place for that to have happened but I haven't yet been able to track anything down, and it would help a lot to know more precisely where to look. Everything I've found so far has a lot of detail on "War Service" but very little on "Home Service" - understandable, but annoying.

Thanks

Rebecca

Offline Anda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 May 12 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
Don't know if it helps but I have found a discharge record for a possible ancestor of mine [ Hiram Toy] in 1815 in Belfast which is where the 45th seem to have been at the time. However, this Hiram was from Kinsale in Cork and joined in 1802 so they may have been down there at some time.
Anda

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 May 12 20:06 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Thats a very impressive list of clasp's, 12 in all. I would be interested to know how he came by the one for Nive as the 45th were not present at that battle as far as I can illicit. In the following;  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45th_(Nottinghamshire)_Regiment_of_Foot , it is not one of their battle honours nor are they listed as being there in my book. Did he do service with another regt at any time in the peninsular war.

John915

List for Nivelle & Nive
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 May 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
I've been told of a history of the 45th written around 1900 by Col. Dalbiac, late of the Sherwood Foresters, so will have a read of it in the Records Office. :)
You can download Dalbiac's History of the 45th from archive.org
http://archive.org/details/historythstnott00dalbgoog

Adrian