Author Topic: Report of a Trial 1791  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Report of a Trial 1791
« on: Tuesday 09 May 06 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I would like to find some/any information, possibly reported in a newspaper, about a trial held in 1791.

The ladies name is Elizabeth Davies and the following is all the information that I have:

Elizabeth Davies received a life sentence at Carmarthen, Wales on 20 August 1791. She was reported to be the leader of a gang of three who robbed houses, usually for clothes or other household effects. The other two in her ‘gang’ were Evan Davies and Gwenllian Owens. Originally the sentence imposed upon Elizabeth and her gang was ‘Death”, but fortunately this was commuted to “life in the colony”. The records related to Elizabeth Davies state that she was a spinster and came from Llangendeirne, Carmarthen. She is believed to have been born about 1766, making her 20 or 21 at the time of her trail.

Would anyone know where I may find further information about the crimes/trial or the life of Elizabeth.

Many thanks
Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Report of a Trial 1791
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Di

I have found the Carmarthenshire Record Office very helpful in my limited dealings with them.  My guess is that if they don't have the information you need, they would have a good idea where you could look next.

I have found my relative in Gloucestershire gaol calendars, which I suspect the the Carmarthenshire Record office would keep their own version of (haven't been there yet, I must confess).

Have you looked at the links at the top of the board to see whether any of them are helpful?

Let us know how you get on and hopefully other Rootschatters will have more precise info for you.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

Thanks for the info. I will follow all the links and contact the Records Office. I'm sure there will be a transcript of the trial somewhere - just have to find it  ;D

Thanks
Di

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hiya yes Carmarthenshire Quarter sessions are in the Record Office Ive looked through them not all dates are there and its just a box full of papers not in any order you have to sift through .Unfortunately didnt find the trial I was looking for .There is also a  book full of the inmates of the jail with descriptions and with photographs of the prisoners (Carms being one of the first counties to do this)unfortunately for you and me it didnt start until 1844(My ancestor was in jail in 1841)Also should think since she was sentenced to life it would be in the Local Paper of the time in Carmarthen .I found the trial I wanted reported in the local paper .Best Wishes Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Welsh Lady for that info.

I had a look through the links on top of this lot and couldn't find the Records Office - I probably missed it (or didn't have my glasses on  ;D) - could you please give me their web site address or email address?

Also very interested in the local paper reports. What is the name of the local paper please and how do I contact them.

It's awfully hard to find proper information from OZ so please excuse my ignorance of Wales and places therein  ::)

Many thanks for your help

Regards
Di

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hello again Di

Here is the link:

http://www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/eng/index.asp?docID=6397

My apologies - just getting started on new links & resources for Carmarthenshire.

(Let me know if you find useful ones in your travels!)

Note that some Carmarthenshire records are held elsewhere due, I believe, to boundary changes etc.  I am sure Carms will point you in the right direction though!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 12:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Arranroots.

Whew - that's a relief - thought I was going mad  ;D

I will follow up on that link and pass any new sites or links on to you.

Thanks
Di

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 18:11 BST (UK) »
Lady Di,the newspaper I looked at was The Cambrian(The Cambrian INdex Online has a search facility and you can send off for photocopies of the entry you want).However it didnt start until 1804 so to late for you.The Carmarthen Journal started 1810 .Dont know if there were any  newspapers before 1804 that still exist and whether theyd be in Welsh ?.Best Wishes Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 December 06 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

I expect this is where you found it in the first place, but just in case I'm adding the link as others might find this website helpful.

http://www.llgc.org.uk/sesiwn_fawr/index_s.htm

http://www.rootschat.com/links/010l/

Bev.   :)

Moderator comment: link shortened to fit page
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.