Author Topic: Road name in Radford 1851  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Road name in Radford 1851
« on: Wednesday 10 May 06 14:16 BST (UK) »
I need help reading a road name in 1851 Census.  I've attached a couple of samples.  At first I though it was Ilkeston Road but there's definitely a dot suggesting an 'i' in there.  I then read it as Ilkinson Road but can't find that on the Ordnance Survey map of about 1881, although there are a few un-named roads (I appreciate road layout may have changed in the intervening 30yrs).

Later addresses in the same Census piece include De Ligne St, Wood St and Denman St, which can be readily located between the Eastern ends of Alfreton Rd and Ilkeston Rd.  There's Radford Terrace, Terrace Yd and George St. nearby in the piece which I also can't find on maps (though don't need to find at present).

Cheers,

Sherwood.

The attached image extracts are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Road name in Radford 1851
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sherwood, it does look like Ilkinson rd. That would be an acceptabe spelling of Ilkeston rd .
Remember spellings were not so set in stone as they are now.

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 May 06 07:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve and Sherwood

I agree with Ilkeston Road. Ilkeston used to be spelled with an i as inscribed on a Grandfather clock in Mums house. In the Whites directory 1850 it is spelled with the current spelling.

I would put it down to phonetic spelling and the degree of literacy of the transcriber.

Sherwood: If you are interested I have a section of a map of the mid 1800s of the area  that is now ASDA at Hyson Green (Pleasant Row, Saville Row).

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 06 00:31 BST (UK) »
Jane,

Most of my rels seem to concentrate in the Radford area but a couple came from Goodall St and Oldknow St (between Gregory Boulevard and Alfreton Rd).  Does your map section go that far?

Sherwood
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 06 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Sherwood

I don't know Goodall St but I know Oldknow St as my husband came from Birkin Ave which runs across the end of it. The map section does not go that far.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk