Author Topic: Found in 1881 - but ??? before and after? Help!!  (Read 4184 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Found in 1881 - but ??? before and after? Help!!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 May 06 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

Unfortunately I don't have access to that well-known provider so can't help with the search.

But I'm wondering why you think the Gorton family (rather than the Partington John & Margaret) is relevant?

Each John was born in Bowdon (Partington being in the Parish of Bowdon according to Genuki).

Partington John
John 28
Margret 29
Elizabeth 3 or 5
All born Bowdon

John 38 Gardener
Margaret 38
Elizabeth 13
Thomas 7
Mary Ann 2
all the above born Partington
Ann POLLARD 1, boarder, born Manchester

Lock Lane, Partington
John HOLLINGWORTH, 53, Ag Labr, born Partington Bowdon
Margaret HOLLINGWORTH, 55, Ag Labr Wife, born Partington Bowdon

From the IGI
The following might be children of the above (Carrington was also in Bowdon Parish)
Elisabeth HOLLINGWORTH bap 2 Jan 1848, Carrington Cheshire, parents John & Margaret
Mary Ann HOLLINGWORTH bap 27 Feb 1859, Carrington Cheshire, parents John & Margaret
(Batches are C748646 and C748647 - no source information, females only)

Births
Might be the same children
Elizabeth HOLLINGWORTH, Dec qtr 1847, Altrincham
Mary Ann HOLLINSWORTH, Mar qtr 1859, Altrincham
There are quite a number of HOLLINSWORTH, HOLLINGWORTH and HOLLINGSWORTH births in Altrincham (Altrincham included Bowdon, Carrington and Partington)

Gorton John
128 Thomas St, Gorton, Lancashire
John HOLLINGWORTH, Head, 60, Laborer Bricklayer, born Bowden(sic) Cheshire
Margaret HOLLINGWORTH, Wife, 50, born Welshpool Shropshire(sic)
Louisa HOLLINGWORTH, Daur, 16, Mantle Maker, born Manchester Lancashire
Frank HOLLINGWORTH, Son, 12, Scholar, born Manchester Lancashire
Charles JONES, Son, 1, born Manchester Lancashire

From the IGI
One of these might be the above Louisa
Louisa HOLLINGSWORTH bap 21 Nov 1864, St Andrew Ancoats, Manchester Lancashire, parents John & Margaret
Louisa HOLLINGWORTH bap 19 Mar 1865, Cathedral, Manchester Lancashire, parents John & Margaret

A John HOLLINGWORTH married a Margaret POLLITT, 20 Jun 1847, Cathedral, Manchester Lancashire - this might be either or neither of the Partington John and the Gorton John

JAP

Offline NickT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Found in 1881 - but ??? before and after? Help!!
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 May 06 15:34 BST (UK) »
I am actually interested in all John HOLLIN(GS)WORTH's born in the Altrincham/Bowdon/Hale/Dunham/Partington and Mobberley area between 1815 and 1825.  My gg grandfather was John HOLLINWORTH (b.c1819) Mobberley and I am trying to identify his parents.  There appears to be no baptism for John and other enquiries have failed to find suitable parental candidates by direct means.

I suspect that Henry HOLLINWORTH, Blacksmith, born c1792 and Mary (nee DAVENPORT) may be the father and mother as they had a son John the correct age, but as there are at least 5 John HOLLIN(GS)WORTHs born during the relevent timeframe and from the area,  I need to link each to their parents.

Once this is done and they are all linked to someone, if Henry is not 'claimed' then he is probably the missing father and taken together with all the other circumstantial evidence that I have gathered, I will be as sure as I can be and happy with to accept this outcome.  I hope this all makes sense.

Regards, Nick
Taylor of Bramhall CHS (At rest 1577)
Parrott (Middlewich & Sandbach CHS (At rest 1675)
Hollin(gs)worth, Hale Barns, Bowdon, Dunham Massey, CHS. & Pensax, Worcs (At rest 1658)
Roylance of Handforth & Cheadle CHS (stuck at 1775).
Bailey/Bayley of Mobberley, CHS (stuck at 1809)
Miller of Mickleham & Charlwood, SRY (At rest 1684).