Author Topic: 1861 and 1871 census HUGHES family  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 and 1871 census HUGHES family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Beryl

There is a William Hughes in the 1861 born Kinnerley with a father Robert so the entry above for 1871 may not be the right one.

With what you already know I would suggest maybe looking into the parish records for the area in which William was born.  You really need to find some definite link and information in the census records are not always correct.  Having something else to go on would help locate his family in the census.

Cazay
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline beryla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Cazay

Thanks again for your reply and helpful hints!  Yes I think it will have to be a trip to the record office sometime in the future. That would be Shrewsbury wouldn't it.

William's father was Edward, so that's one definite thing I have.( I have W's marriage cert.1874)

Thanks again

Regards

Beryl

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 March 07 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Beryla,
              Not sure if you are still looking for William, but I think I can rule out the 1861 entry for you. Edward Hughes is in my tree & he only married Sarah Williams in 1858. She was a widow & had died by the 1871 census. The boys were using the surname Williams (which was of course there proper surname) in 1881 & William can be found (still unmarried) visiting his brother James in Culmington, Shropshire. Brother George is at Angelbank in Bitterley.
    Hope this helps.   
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline beryla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Kayzee
Thanks  for your reply. Sorry for the delay in answering but unavoidable, ....... 'things happening' ! Yes it is helpful ruling dates out isn't it. My William was married in 1874 so that's definitely not him in 1881 is it. The trouble is that he was born just after the 1851 census I think, so I can't place him with his family. I think I have the correct family now in 1841 as there is an Evan Hughes mentioned and Evan Hughes was a witness at William's wedding in 1874 and W's father's name is Edward on his marriage certificate. I've contacted Reg. Offices about William's birth cert. but they cannot pinpoint him. Anyway back to the searching and fingers crossed. Thanks again
Beryla