Author Topic: Mile End to Whitechapel?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Mile End to Whitechapel?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 May 06 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike & Lizdb,

Many thanks for your comments.

There can't be many Eliza Jane Harrell -- George Austin marriages.

Problem No 1 !
The marriage certificate show only Eliza Harrell - not her full name - which doesn't appear again on any census record. However it only appears as an initial before!!

Wills - I have not looked/never found for any of my "lot" - any recommendations where I start to look?

That's a good idea about the witnesses on her siblings marriages (had hoped for her mother to witness this one as her name is Thereza!!) - I have a note of her brother's marriage in 1880  in Hackney and who appear in the 1881 census in Mile End Old Town - so perhaps that's another £7 for me to invest!!

As I said many thanks - the more ideas I have the more chance of getting the correct family.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 May 06 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi MrsLizzy,

Your post crossed (wasn't forgetting you!!)  :o

Thanks for that - Hope you are right!!  ;D

But don't tell me about deaths - I haven't got them married properly yet  ;) ;)

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 May 06 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

Re Wills. Post 1858 Wills are held at The Probate Registry, High Holborn, London.
The indexes can be searched there for free, and the wills either sent to you or viewed there, for a fee (of course!)
Although I doubted many of mine left Wills I did go there with a list of everyone and when they died, or approx when, and where etc, that I could get together from my tree, and spent a happy day searching - with some useful results (often of the kind I mentioned in my last post)
Now I make it a point to try and check for wills for folk. I only go upto London on Family History searching maybe once or twice a year, but try to get to the Probate Office occasionaly.
I dont know what online facilities there are -  I know you cant search the indexes on line yet. But I dont know if you contact the Probate office if they will do a seach for you (for a fee, no doubt, and you'd have to know exact details, no browsing like you can when you are there in person! Can't beat going to these places yourself, if you ask me!))
I guess their website might help, dont know it off hand but there is sure to be a link on Rootschat Beginners somewhere - if not a google of 'probate' should find it.

All the best
Lizdb
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 May 06 17:18 BST (UK) »
Keith,
Sorry- I'm a bit confused.
I'm only opening this now as I come in from work and just catching up- if I recall the Thomas I found last evening (and you I suppose) had a wife who I thought was Thirza- which may well have been Thereza.
So... my question is - do you know that your Eliza had the mother Thereza (oops- not the nun) or just that Eliza with a father Thomas, the lock keeper  had a mother called Thereza and you are just trying to connect them?
Hope this makes sense.
regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline familysearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 May 06 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith - I was at University in Mile End (Queen Mary's College of University of London).  We used to walk to Whitechapel from there.

The canal goes round the back of the college (which used to be known as the People's Palace).

It is entirely feasible that they would go to Church in Whitechapel - although there are probably ones nearer.

As far a lock keeper is concerned - the canal is the one that runs from Regents Park to Limehouse basin.  I haven't actually worked the locks there myself, but if they are like the rest of the ones on the Grand Union they would take 2 narrowboats.  Lock Keepers used to work the locks, but were also responsible for maintenance etc.

Sue
Geen - Glamorgan/Devon/Birmingham
Lewis - Glamorgan/Monmouthshire
Cutter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Hunter - Co Durham/Northumberland/Yorkshire
Siveter/Siviter - Birmingham

Census infromation is  Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 May 06 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Thanks again for all those comments:

heywood:
My relation is Thereza Ann Tabram b.1827 - married Thomas Harrell - Shoreditch Sep 1850.
Among their 9 children was Eliza Jane Harrell b June 1852 Hertford
Also John L Harrell b 1855 in Ware

I have Thereza in all census records including 1901 when she is living with her son John Harrell who is a lock keeper at Mile End.

I have the '61 census record for Eliza living with family in Kentish Town
In the '71 census Eliza J(?) is again living with family at Lock House, Mile End.

Then I hope I have her marriage certificate in Whitechapel.

In the '81 census I have George & Eliza (b. Herts) living in Mile End
In the '91 census I have George & Eliza (b. Mile End!!) living in Mile End
A probable death in Jun 1892 in Mile End aged 40 on BMD.

But is it my Eliza!!  ;D

Sue:

Thanks for that information - wondered which canal was nearby - my usual lot were bargees on the Limehouse/Ware stretch.

Lizdb:

Thanks for the information on Wills  - will(!) have a check on that site - I live in Shropshire and have not been to London for 40 years!! :o :o

Once again thanks for your interest

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 May 06 19:59 BST (UK) »
I'm sure it must be her- I think I now understand- you're happy that the census Elizas are yours- it's just is Mrs Austin yours?? Did she have any descendants - any Austins who could confirm?
best wishes

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 May 06 20:16 BST (UK) »
Another bit of circumstantial evidence- Eliza Harrell has a sister Isabella and Eliza Austin has a daughter Isabel.

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 May 06 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi heywood,

I did notice that but as she had 8 siblings and 4 children - law of averages says one must be the same!!  ;D ;D

But as you say another bit of circumstantial evidence!!  ;) ;)

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails