Author Topic: Foundlings  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Foundlings
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 May 06 14:09 BST (UK) »
I knew this series was being made several months ago because one of my distant relatives, Bert Bunt, was featured in Weds programme.

It's a shame his whole story wasn't broadcast - Bert did find out who his mother was and the wonders of genealogy have meant that he has traced his ancestry back several generations and discovered numerous relatives he didn't know about before.

Bert and I are related via the Pasque/Pask family in Blythburgh, Suffolk and we often chat on the phone.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 May 06 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Sue.

Dave, - perhaps Bert's story is more fully reported in the book?

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 May 06 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly - I doubt it.  They only started filming just before Xmas and Kate Adie's book was already on the shelves by then, I think.  The film crew were very interested in Bert's story and said they wished they could devote a whole programme to it! 

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 May 06 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly - I doubt it.  They only started filming just before Xmas and Kate Adie's book was already on the shelves by then, I think.  The film crew were very interested in Bert's story and said they wished they could devote a whole programme to it! 
Dave

Oh shame...:-(

Perhaps though, with the growing interest in family history generally, - his story might indeed end up as a seperate programme!

(I do sympathise with your relative though, - I was filmed for a whole day once as part of a Channel 4 prog...& when it went out was only on for a few minutes:-)

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline sjdean

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 May 06 14:15 BST (UK) »
First post. Wish me luck.

I've been watching Found on BBC1 too. It peaked my interest because there is a Foundling in my family tree, though not blood related. Her name was Mary Kellington, and was taken in by my great great great grandfather and his family. She then went and married the son of one of two maiden aunts where my great great grandfather was a lodger from when he was very young.

Very odd story that I couldn't quite put together. But my great great grandfather, Joseph Dean, seems to have been the only person that was taken in by these two maiden Aunts (Mary Ann and Frances Heron).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the Birth Certificate for Mary Kellington and indeed, what information might be on there? I wouldn't expect parentage information, but it would appear that there might be some kind of foundling information on there - at least according to that program.

Thanks
Simon
Dean (Castleford, Yorkshire), Grantham (Birmingham), Davies (Birmingham), Woollaston (Birmingham), Watson (Durham), Dawson (Durham)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 May 06 16:34 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Simon!

Do you have any dates/addresses/areas of the country/etc...

For the Mary Kellington that you are interested in?

(It might be possible to find her on one of the Censuses with some of your family members then).

best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline sjdean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 May 06 16:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, the census is where I found the information. I have a potential birth date of about 1842 from the census. She married Charles Heron in 1866. She's definitely there with my GGG Grandfather in 1851, and in 1861, she is living elsewhere as a servant.

Cya
Simon
Dean (Castleford, Yorkshire), Grantham (Birmingham), Davies (Birmingham), Woollaston (Birmingham), Watson (Durham), Dawson (Durham)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 May 06 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon,

On the 1851 Census she is a foudling aged 9yrs, place of birth: Borthalace, Russia.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline sjdean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 May 06 17:19 BST (UK) »
Yes. That's the ancestry one that's incorrect. I believe it should actually read "Birthplace not Known".

But it is the Mary Kellington. So the question is, do you think it's possible to find a birth certificate for her?

Thanks
Simon