Author Topic: Rellie was a Preacher - suggestions?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline spook

• RootsChat Member
  • Zipping up my boots, I'm going back to my roots!
    • View Profile
Rellie was a Preacher - suggestions?
« on: Thursday 11 May 06 21:56 BST (UK) »
My GGrandfather James Naylor (1855-1927) was according to family lore a preacher (originally lived in Greasley/Eastwood/Newthorpe area). Is there any way of finding more out?

I know he is buried at St Mary's church in Greasley but the word 'preacher' sounds Methodist to me?

Any suggestions on records I could search to maybe track him down?
Naylor - Greasley, Nottinghamshire; Watts - Sheffield

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: Rellie was a Preacher - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 May 06 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi spook,

Do you have him in the census?  What is his occupation there? If you haven't found him on the census yet, post his place of birth and the names of his family (parents/wife/kids - whatever you have) and hopefully someone can find him for you. 

I have a similar problem with one of my ancestors.  My great-aunt insists he was a minister and even has a plate that was given to him as a thank-you by a congregation.  But all official records of him (census, etc...) have him down as a farmer.   ::)

Hope we can help you find your guy...

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 May 06 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
I wonder, if your NAYLOR family was aware of the James NAYLOR a Quaker who was a Preacher man of apparently some note (enough to have poetry written about his last words according to google), well more than a century before your ggrandfather? And somehow a bit of a family joke about the same name and piety got warped along the descent of generations?  

This certainly happened in my family, though the space of years was not so great - my gg-grandmother had the same surname, and the same father's name as that of a wealthy shipping company owner near whom she used to live with her own family. The story came down the family that she was the shipowner's daughter, and he had one stage disowned her for marrying my gg-grandfather (though why she should then be practically living on said shipowners doorstep not so long later.......).  Anyway, I was able to disprove the theory entirely, no connection whatsoever. Her real father had died when she was very young. I can imagine her making up some silly joke/tale to appease/tease the questions of little ones, which got passed on, twisted and remembered as a "family fact"..... ;D

Of course  perhaps your James was indeed a preacher of some sort, but perhaps something to keep in mind  ;D
http://www.geocities.com/quakerpages/1694fox000c.htm

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 May 06 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Spook

I have found him on the 1891 as a coal miner but can't find him on the 1901. He did have 2 Salvation Army officers living next door. Do you know where he might have preached? What denomination?

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spook

• RootsChat Member
  • Zipping up my boots, I'm going back to my roots!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 May 06 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I've got him in the censuses as in and around Greasley and his occupation was always a coal miner. I believe that he was CofE.
I presume therefore that it was in that area of Notts where he preached but am only summising.
Naylor - Greasley, Nottinghamshire; Watts - Sheffield

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 May 06 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Spook

If he was CofE he could have been a lay reader. Licensed by the Bishop to preach and do other duties eg funerals but not consecrate or give absolution. They also have ordinary jobs as being a reader is unpaid. As they are licensed there must be a record.

I can ask our readers at church. Another complication is that although we are under Southwell now I think in those days we were in the Diocese of York. Another way to try find out where the Greasley church minute boooks are and have a look in those. They are probably at Nottm archives. Or contact the current readers at Greasley.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk