Author Topic: What would you change?  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What would you change?
« on: Friday 12 May 06 04:00 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

If you were immigrating to another country and trying not to be found what would you change:-
1. First Name
2. Middle Name
3. Surname
4. Place of Birth
5. Mother's Name
6. Father's Name
7. Date of Birth
8. Occupation of Father

I am missing the history of my G Grandfather and am wondering if any of his details may be correct  ???

So - what would you change and what would you keep?

Thanks
Di
 ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: What would you change?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 May 06 05:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Di!

I'm trying to think like ancestors here...  ;D

I'd definitely change my surname.  That'd stop them from finding me on censuses, shipping and immigration records, etc.  Because they haven't a hope of finding me if I have a totally different surname!!!

Or if I'm allowed two things (or not allowed the first one) then I'd change my date of birth.  That'd trick them up for sure!  I can hear them saying to themselves, "That really sounds like her, but the age is wrong, so it can't be!!"

Ghostly laughter echoing down the years!!  ;D  ::)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 May 06 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi MarieC,

I can just hear that echo of laughter......   ;D ;D ;D

It's hard enough to trace our ancestors when we know their names and SOME details - but changing things to avoid detection is just not cricket   ::)   ;D

It's like changing the rules half way through a game  :D

Thanks
Di

Offline wotty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 May 06 13:06 BST (UK) »

I am thinking of my experiences as a police officer when people tried to lie to me about their identity....they could stick to the made-up name quite well, but they could hardly ever remember the made-up date of birth.

However, in the case of our great grandparents, it is unlikely that they would be asked repeatedly for their date of birth. I'm not sure whether that would make it more or less likely that they would forget what they had said on a previous occasion.

If it was me I would change the surname but then I'd have to change my parents names as well. If the forename was unusual then I would have to change that too!

Wotty.
Meehan - Co Durham, Ireland, USA and Canada
Hopps -  Co Durham and N. Yks
Ward, Mortimer, Littleboy - Norfolk
Angus -  Co Durham
Pyle -  Co Durham and Northumberland
Rowntree -  N Yks and Co Durham
Ridley - Co Durham
Kelly -  Co Durham and Ireland

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 May 06 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Wotty,

Wow, I didn't think of trying to remember a new date of birth. Women lie about their age all the time but being a mere male, he probably wouldn't care  ;D

Actually, his date of birth was "almost" consistant (+/- 3) so you are most likely correct there.

You have given me lots to think about - many thanks

Di

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 May 06 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thought you might like some ideas from one that I actually know about.  We were lucky with my great uncle as he kept in touch with his sister still in England so we knew what his new name was.

He changed both first and second names to Jack Sullivan (although his real  first name was actually John) however two trains of thought as to why he chose the name he did.
- lodged with people who took care of him and so he "adopted" their name.
- he named himself after the famous boxer.

When we got his funeral papers we discovered that he had changed his year of birth - only by one year but kept the month and day, presumably so as to remember them more easily.

On finding them in the census records living in Washington, Seattle, and I know we have the right person because of the wife's  name, he had claimed to be born in Michigan and his parents in Montana and Michigan, when in fact they were Irish.

Maybe this might give you some ideas.
Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 May 06 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

Thank you for that information. It is very interesting that you mention that your John/Jack may have changed his name to be the same as people he was living with at some stage.

I have a feeling that my guy used the name of someone he was rooming with when he first arrived in Oz. It's just "one of those feelings" and I can't explain why I think that.

My guy wrote his mother's full name on his marriage certificate (including Maiden name). Not only did I think that was unusual, but her name is rather unique so I don't think he lied about this (except I can't find her marriage  ::))

There are just so many options - I'm sure parts of his story are correct - just can't work out which parts  :(

Many thanks
Di

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 May 06 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Di,

My gr-grandfather changed his surname only, kept everything else the same when he came to Canada.  Went he disappeared again, he changed his surname back to his original name  ::)

My grandfather, his name and birth date seem to be the only consistent thing, but never told the truth twice on where he was born, I finally found his parents names on his marriage certificate, with his mother's maiden name and everything, but not sure if I believe it.  I can find neither of them in any census.

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline wotty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 May 06 22:51 BST (UK) »
I don't think our relatives always did these things on purpose.

I think sometimes people just didn't know where their other half was born. They might have known where they grew up or where they lived shortly before they were married, and told that to the census enumerators.
I just think people didn't think that where and in some cases when they were born was such an important thing in earlier times.

Wotty
Meehan - Co Durham, Ireland, USA and Canada
Hopps -  Co Durham and N. Yks
Ward, Mortimer, Littleboy - Norfolk
Angus -  Co Durham
Pyle -  Co Durham and Northumberland
Rowntree -  N Yks and Co Durham
Ridley - Co Durham
Kelly -  Co Durham and Ireland