Author Topic: Searching for Susanna's Marriage  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Searching for Susanna's Marriage
« on: Friday 12 May 06 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Some weeks ago someone uncovered a gravestone which had been lain flat and had become covered with grass in the churchyard at Southwell Minster.  The Inscription was brought to my attention and I was asked if it would be possible to find out about the people mentioned thereon. 

They were William CADDICK of Basford, Nottinghamshire father of Susanna WEDGE who was buried aged 30 with her infant son William John aged 3 days in April 1826.  Susanna was the wife of John WEDGE governor of a local workhouse.

I have been able to trace Susanna's family at Basford and back to Birmingham.  She was christened at St Phillip's Birmingham in 1795 the daughter of William CADDICK and Susanna SHORT. However I have been unable to find any trace of her marriage to John WEDGE.  I have looked on the IGI and have run a search on the Notts FHS marriage index which has most of the Nottinghamshire Parish Register marriages listed but there was nothing relevant.  So I am now wondering if the marriage took place in the Birmingham area but given the type of work John and Susanna seem to have been in they could have married anywhere in the country. Does anyone know of any on-line indexes or places to search for marriages?

I've found the CADDICK family but I know next to nothing about John WEDGE.  Is anyone researching the surname WEDGE?

Offline Andy001

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Susanna's Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 May 06 11:04 BST (UK) »
Lancashire On-line Parish Clerk:

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

click on Parishes in Lancs on the left,the place names with 2 roses have parish records

Good Luck :)

Andrea
West Midlands;Manchester;Halifax;Wadsworth;<br />Denholme;Aberdeen;Leeds;Oxford;Ludgershall;Bletchingdon<br /><br />Watson,Pollitt,Briggs,Purcell,Byron,Clancy,McNulty,Hartley,Spencer,Whyte,Worth,Mills,Cripps,Howson,Wright