Author Topic: Shipton parish registers  (Read 1574 times)

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Shipton parish registers
« on: Friday 12 May 06 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

to all that might be searching the above registers, ( Shropshire ),  just found this,

The Parish Registers of Shipton, 1538 to 1812.

From the yeare of our Lord God  1644  unto the yeare of our Lord God  1648  This Register Booke was taken out of Shipton church and was not to be found: the Chest wherein it was keept being Broken up by Souldiers, whereby it cometh to passe that all Burings Weaddings & all Children that were Baptized betwixt the yeare  1644  and  1648  in the parish of Shipton were not herein registred.

hope this saves a bit of time,

Best wishes,
Pete.
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Shipton parish registers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 May 06 10:55 BST (UK) »
Interesting, Pete!

Wonder how many parish registers were lost in this manner during the English Civil War and at other times of upheaval!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 06 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie C,

This is the first entry like this I have come across, I have just bought another two sister discs to the one I already have, which in theory, should give me all the parish records of Shropshire, Hereford diosese, Lichfield diosese, St. Asaph diosese, unfortunatly whilst the discs are fully searchable by name, I cannot search on the word BIZZARE, ( I have tried ).  I have found here in the registeres of Shrewsbury, around this period, an awful lot of soldiers being buried,

I am just going through the new discs, some of the entries are a bit mundane, but still fasinating to read, Do you want me to post what I think are good ones?.

Best wishes.
Pete.
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 06 14:32 BST (UK) »
Just found this,

Stanton Lacy Parish Registers.
Volume 1.

15 May 1645 Edward Smith (Infant), of Hopton bur.
This yeare through distractions of the fearfull civill warre and the vicars enforced absence thereupon many things are omitted vnder all the Titles.

Pete.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 May 06 08:56 BST (UK) »
Yes please, Pete, post away!  I seem to remember you posted some classics a while ago.  I love them!  They are a window into a world which has long passed away.

By the way, could you tell me whether your discs of parish records extend up to the early 20th century?  Or do they cut off around 1837?  (I have an important reason for asking!!!  :D)

MarieC
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 May 06 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie C,

I havent got round to going through all the entries as of yet, ( there are over 2 million on them ), but Im sure ataquick glance I seen some coming up to about 1850 but I cant rember which parishes these were. If you think you have an ancestor in Shropshire feel free I will certainly go through them for you,

do you think " Rolex " would be proud of this guarantee,

Memorandu that Richard Morris and John Morris, Smithes of the Towne of Sheresburie [sic], for and in Consideracon of the Some of Seaventeen shillings unto them in hand paid by Richard Turnor and William Williams, Church Wardens of ye p'ish of Alberburie, which said Some of 17s. was paid upon the  24 Oct 1651 , they the said Richd and John Morris in consideracon of the said Some doe undertake to Sett the Clocke in the Church of Alberburie in good and sufficient order upon the receit of the said Moneis, and the same Clocke thaye by Bargaine and p'mise, and in consideracon of the some of 17s., are to maintaine and keepe from the sd  24 Oct 1651 , for and dureinge the Terme and Space of three yeares from thence next ensuinge, and thay or one of them are to come put the said Clocke in order any time when thay have notice given them that the said Clocke is defective in aney respect.

Best wishes,
Pete,

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 May 06 10:36 BST (UK) »
I love it, Pete!  I guess 17 shillings was a decent sum of money in those days, even for a three year contract!!!   ;D

I'll send you a pm about the other matter.

Best wishes,

MarieC