Author Topic: For Rebecca - Rootschat Senior-re Byron  (Read 1460 times)

Offline roz.ronly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
For Rebecca - Rootschat Senior-re Byron
« on: Friday 12 May 06 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Rebecca

I saw in another Topic that you often go to Hampreston ?

I have been trying for many years to make headway on the Byron family of Hampreston.  This brickwall has been the thorn in my side, but not the only one. 

Edmund Byron and his wife Mary, were bith born in Hampreston. 

Edmund    1760
Mary          1766

Richard       1784
George       1785
Amelia        1786
Thomas       1787
Charles       1789
James          1790

For reasons unknown, they up and went to live in Poole.  James became my Gt/Gt/GFather.  No other Byron's to be found anywhere else in Dorset at that time.  I had to abandon hope of ever finding out where this family came from and indeed, where they went.  They just vanished - all those male members and I have not been able to get a trace of them, apart from Thomas, who was a blacksmith in Poole, during the 1841 Census.  James sister Amelia married what could have been a Belgian or Frenchman.  His name was Clerick, which could have been a bad spelling of Clerk, but they too vanished.

Last week, by sheer accident, I found the burial record of Edmund.  He died in Poole, but was buried in Hampreston- presumably with his wife.  He was buried on 27 June 1831 at age 80.  I think that was wrong as previous record show he must have been 71.

I have search high and low, but I don't know where they came from and where they went.  No one else is seeking this family either.  The parents must have lived in Hampreston - where are Edmund's siblings ?

My hope is, that if you have time you would do me the tremendous favour of looking in the churchyard for me.  I believe that I have exhausted any available paperwork.

Hope you can help.

Roz

Offline roz.ronly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: For Rebecca - Rootschat Senior-re Byron
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 May 06 23:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry !

Edmunds wife was Amelia, not Mary.

Roz

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 May 06 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I presume this message is for me!

I may get the chance this weekend to go to the churchyard (weather permitting!), so I'll have a look for any Byrons for you.

I went to the graveyard at Easter to do a search for someone on here and found one for her dating back to the 1880s. I believe there were older graves there  - so fingers crossed! ;)

Will let you know what I find :)

Rebecca

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roz.ronly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 May 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Rebecca !

I really appreciate - with a bit of luck, could save me further years of late nights and frustration on this one.

Roz

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 May 06 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Roz,

I had the chance to visit Hampreston churchyard today. I'm really sorry but unfortunately, I couldn't find any Bryon graves for you. Some of the old graves are very difficult to read and since I was there at Easter, it has become quite overgrown with stinging nettles and weeds (probably due to all the rain we've had recently!).

Hopefully they'll tidy the churchyard up when the weather gets better, and if so I'll go back and have a look at the parts I couldn't get to.

I do have a photo of the church, if you would like me to send you a copy please PM me with your e-mail address.

Kind regards,

Rebecca

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roz.ronly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 22:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry I am late with a reply, but I was waiting for the Site to notify of a message.

Thanks very much for trying, it is much appreciated.

It is amazing how Purbeck stone cannot stand bad weather.  I was a bit concerned when St Pauls used a lot of it for restoration.

I will have to try Trowbridge Records Office, as I am led to believe that they have the Hampreston Records

I would love a picture of the Church for my FTM prog.

email address removed by moderator - please use the secure Rootschat personal message system - thankyou

Roz Lacey