Author Topic: Kena - MI Look ups - Alston & surrounding area Request  (Read 1503 times)

AngieL

Kena - MI Look ups - Alston & surrounding area Request
« on: Saturday 13 May 06 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Kena,

I know this is a lot of names to look up but I'd be very grateful for any help you can give.  The names I am interested in are Armstrong, Kirton, Linton, Robinson & Walton (in all of the areas mentioned in your post).

Many thanks in advance.

Angie

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kena - MI Look ups - Alston & surrounding area Request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 06 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, Angie, no probs, please would it be possible for you to give me an idea of first names though as there is an awful lot in my book, too many to put into one message really.

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

AngieL

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 May 06 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

Many thanks for your reply, I have lots of names under these surnames, the most abundant names I have are as follows:

Armstrong - Ann, David, Elizabeth, Isabella, Jane, John, Joseph, Mark, Martha, Mary, Matthew, Robert, Sarah & Thomas.

Kirton - Ann/Hannah & Joseph.

Linton - Ann/Hannah, isabel, Jacob, James, Jane, John, Margaret, Mary & Robert.

Robinson - Ann, Deborah, Eleanor, George, Hugh, James, Jane, Martha, Matthew, Peter, Tamar & Thomas.

Walton - Ann, Catherine, George, Isabel, Jane, John, Margaret, Mary, Matthewe, Richard, Robert & Thomas.

I realise that this is an awful lot of names but would appreciate absolutely any information you can give me, no matter how little.

Many, many thanks again,
Angie

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Angie, Here are the ones in Alston churchyard:-

Leaning West. Low. J (ane) WALTON something 1772, something; or, (J)ame(s).

Lichened. Eroded. something WALTON of High Pa(rk?), died December something aged 61. (c1800). something M something died Au(gust) something, aged 71. something daughter of the above something Isabella WA(LTON), something who something.

Tall. Lichened. Eroded. John Walton of Low Byer died 24 April 1847 aged 65. Margaret his wife died at Newcastle 25 February 1864 aged 79. Samuel son of John and Margaret Walton of Low Byer died 15 December 1835 aged 18. Mary their daughter died 26 November 1842 aged 21. Mary Jemima Walton their granddaughter died at Alston 20 March 1856 aged 11.

Low. Urn. Lower case. William Walton of Anattwall died 17 December 1783 aged (3)5. Mary wife of John Walton died 28 March 1785 aged 22. Sarah daughter of John and Mary Walton, (rest of epitaph is underground)

Veiled Urn. Tall. Lichened. Eroded. Robert Walton of Alston, Woollen manufacturer, 6th son of Jacob and Mary Walton of Gill (House?)s died 10 March 1849 aged (35). Mary his wife daughter of John and Sarah (Cowper) of Alston died 6 October18 (1) 7 aged 29. Mary Jane their infant daughter died 11 October 1817 aged 11 days.

Garrigill

Leaning eastwards something urn something John Walton of Shi (eld something) died something 5th 1804 aged 79.

Nenthead

Yellow Sandstone fallen faceupwards. Lichened, eroded. something wreath and flowers something Richard Walton departed this life 17 May 1851 aged 5 (0) or 59 something gone, his wife, died 22 December 1867 aged 78.

Hope this helps, will post another message later when have looked through the others

Anna

Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 May 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Angie, Here are the others,

Nenthead

Yellow Sandstone, lichened, very eroded something Ihs in Quatrefoil, beneath it, on each side at top of vertical side of the tombstone, a Rose something Robert Armstrong of Nenthead departed this life 22 August 1870 aged 66; Jane his widow died 17 July 1873 aged 63; John their son died 6 January 1890 aged 59; Ann wife of the above John died 29 August 1903 aged 67; Ann Hodgson their daughter died at Maughanby (Parish of Addingham) 1 July 1911 aged 83. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord. They do rest from their labours."

Kirkhaugh

Veiled Urn on Books; on left, at top, Rose on Book and beneath it "Time How Short"; on right, at top Pod and Ring on Book, and beneath it "Eternity How Long": s = long s something John Walton of Dyke in this Parish, departed this life on 8 January 1819 in the 41st year of his age. "Watch therefore, for ye know not the hour at which the Son of God cometh" Matthew, 25th chapter, verse 13th (This is quoted wrongly. The correct version is "Watch therefore, for ye know not the day nor the hour"); also ( something ) Jah Veitch, daughter of the above, died at Castle Nook, May something th (18) 40 something (age eroded off).

White Stone, metal lettering, leaning eastwards, Gothic with side columns something Thomas Walton of the Dyke died 1 July 1894 aged 84; Ann his wife died 13 February 1885 aged 67. "The Lord is My Shepherd". Also Thomas Maughan of Kirkhaugh, nephew and adopted son of the above died 4 July 1916 aged 56.

Knarsdale

Eroded something Robert Armstrong (circa 1850)

Eroded something Ann wife of John Armstrong of Eals died 30 November 1816 aged (33) (or 38, 53, 58); the above John, died at Eals 27 June 1819 aged (38) (or 33, 53, 58).

Hope this helps, sorry the inscriptions are so bad.

Anna

Minto, - Durham
Huess - Somerset

AngieL

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

Thank you so much for all the trouble you've gone to, the results are so helpful to me & I really appreciate your efforts on my belhalf.

Many thanks again,
Angie