Author Topic: SCOUT or SCOTE HALL, Shibden near Halifax  (Read 32467 times)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SCOUT or SCOTE HALL, Shibden near Halifax
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 18 January 14 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jonathan,
I'm still getting notifications about this thread and I find it very interesting stuff. I'm always on the lookout for connections to my tree so when you mentioned a Mr Chew my ears pricked up; I have Chews from Southowram married to my Lightowlers.
I also wonder if there is a connection between the Stancliffes and the Listers of Shibden hall?

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 18 January 14 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I should be interested to know the name of the Stancliffe who married John Mitchell.  I have his wife as the 15-year-old Mary Wilton whom he married in 1678.  Perhaps Ms Stancliffe was an earlier wife of Mr Mitchell.  Do you know her full name / dates / parents or other details?
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Offline Jonathan Lowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 19 January 14 03:21 GMT (UK) »
I will pick up the documents in the next day or so. It will contain the complete history/genealogy of the Stancliffes back to Scout Hall and all the subsequent descendants down to myself and my children. As I mentioned, my mother worked with a descendant of Mitchell. It is a huge and compete text, published within the past 20 years or so. I will also get Mr. Chews notes and find out who he is and how he fits into this.
Also a record of the land grant from King Charles, which I believe was granted to a Stancliffe. I'll have the first names of all. It's my understanding that Mitchell married a Stancliffe and the house was built on the land that belonged to her (Stancliffe). When I pickup these documents I believe that much of this will come together and make sense. All of these records in my mothers possession are well documented and should be fairly accurate, hopefully. My mother lives 15 minutes from me, so it will be easy to get, I just have been too busy to stop by. I'll get it as soon as possible. I could have never imagined this info would be of such interest. My mother is née Stancliffe, which makes us direct descendants.
Jonathan

Offline Jonathan Lowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 19 January 14 03:24 GMT (UK) »
I'll also get the contact info for Mitchell, who wrote the bulk of the genealogy. That should be very helpful. It should be very easy to contact him, as my mother has met him and they had a lot of correspondence as well.
Jonathan.

Offline Jonathan Lowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 19 January 14 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Thus far, I've been writing from memory. The documents should shed much light and clear up many of your questions. It also may raise many new questions.
Jon

Offline Jonathan Lowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 19 January 14 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Correction: the genealogy is written by Robert Stancliffe, my mothers distant cousin here in the U.S.
It is in fairly wide distribution here. It is mainly on the American side of the family.
Sorry for the error.
Jon

Offline Jonathan Lowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 19 January 14 04:00 GMT (UK) »
I just checked with my mother about Mr. Chew. Mr. Chew was living on the Scout Hall property and had a collection of notes about the history if the property. I do not believe he was a relative. I will get a copy of the notes he gave to my parents when they visited the property. Strangely, my parents did know know where the property was, they found it on an old map, 1600s, when they visited Shibden Hall. I myself have never been to the U.K. At all. Maybe I should schedule a trip & bring my three children.
Jon

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 19 January 14 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Jonathan,
This all sounds very exciting, looking forward to all these very early records, particularly.  You can of course now communicate via PM (Personal Message, on your Profile) to any one of us, if you want, and therefore you can utilize e-mail addresses, and exchange anything you might feel might be a little too personal to be shown on here.
But it would certainly round things nicely off if the details of so far undiscovered documents could be aired on this thread, eight years on from its inception!
keith

Offline Jonathan Lowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 19 January 14 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith, I can't imagine anything I can obtain might be too personal. It took Robert Stancliffe many many years to compile the Stancliffe line from Shibden to New England all the way down to my children. It's all public info as far as I am concerned. What will be of more interest to you of course is the info that Mr. Chew passed on which is specific to the UK side. I will do my best to pick those papers up today. Is it possible that Chew is still alive?
The reason I searched for a site such as this was I am interested in knowing more about my family history and it's relationship to Scout Hall. The internet opens up so many possibilities and makes this world so much smaller. The best way to get the info to you will be for me to just scan it and email it all at once, sound like the best way?
Jon