Author Topic: AAARRRGGGHHH that damned brick wall again...  (Read 7749 times)

Offline Rachel_79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
AAARRRGGGHHH that damned brick wall again...
« on: Sunday 14 May 06 11:02 BST (UK) »
Im researching my hubbies side of the family as a present for my father-in-law who knows little or nothing about his family.

I have managed (with alot of help) to get back to:

James Shawcross born 1798 in Urmston married Ann Prescote b 1796 also in Urmston and this is valid on the 1851 census along with the names of their two children John b. 1837 and William b. 1832

Im looking for help, guidence, inspiration, words of wisdom or pointing in the right direction with regards to finding parents, siblings or relatives of James and Ann but keep hitting the same old brick wall....

HELP?
Lofts Family, Lennox Family (Grimsby), Playle Family, Stead Family (Grimsby) and Shawcross Family (Manchester/Salford)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: AAARRRGGGHHH that damned brick wall again...
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 06 11:24 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

found the above while looking for something else

audrey

Offline Rachel_79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 May 06 11:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Audrey, I will certainly look into it, although I suspect this is not my branch line as my James b 1837 married Jane Royle and I can follow that line quite far...
Lofts Family, Lennox Family (Grimsby), Playle Family, Stead Family (Grimsby) and Shawcross Family (Manchester/Salford)

Offline julie64

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gt-gt-grandmother Elizabeth Nelson 1847- 1936
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 06 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

I assume you have had a look at the IGI on the Latter Day Saints website?  They have the marriage for James and Ann listed as 6 August 1827, and a quick search for James and Ann in the births brings up a number of options.  If you know the name of the parish they were born in then you may be able to narrow down the list more than I can.  For example, there was an Ann Prescatt baptized 27 may 1798 in the same parish that the couple were married (parents George and Elizabeth).

Regards Julie
WHERE ARE YOU BEFORE 1851 TAMAR LITTLER?!

Staffs (Audley) Shrops (Market Drayton) Lancs(Golborne, Ashton in Makerfield) Oxfordshire (Banbury, Neithrop, Gt Tew, Witney) Monmouthshire (Abergavenny)

Lancs/Ireland: Armstrong Aspinall Billingham Burchall Burke Doyle Littler Wareing
Ox: Brookes Nelson Pinfold Riley
Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire: Beeston Bull Durber Gater Massey Walker
Abergavenny:  Cobner Williams

Any census information in this post is Crown Copyright  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rachel_79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 May 06 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

You have found their marriage as it matches what I have and yes I did look on familysearch.  As for their Parish, to be honest all I know is Urmston and havent got much further...

Regards

Rachel

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 May 06 12:35 BST (UK) »
hi..just a thought....try www.ancestral-villages.co.uk   its free..just register,and then print in urmston as the village you are researching....if your lucky,there may be someone related on the list...if not ..type your relatives names etc in, and then leave a message requesting who you are looking for....good luck...allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline julie64

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 May 06 12:44 BST (UK) »
Have you found the family on the 1841 census?

If not:

James Shawcross 40 cotton weaver
Ann 50
Hannah 13
Matthew 12
William 9
Henry 9
John 4

living in Flixton, Urmston

Staffs (Audley) Shrops (Market Drayton) Lancs(Golborne, Ashton in Makerfield) Oxfordshire (Banbury, Neithrop, Gt Tew, Witney) Monmouthshire (Abergavenny)

Lancs/Ireland: Armstrong Aspinall Billingham Burchall Burke Doyle Littler Wareing

Any census information in this post is Crown Copyright  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julie64

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 May 06 12:50 BST (UK) »
And bearing in mind that the family are from the Flixton area, this entry on the IGI looks promising:

James Shawcross christened 28 August, 1796 in Flixton
parents John and Nancy Shawcross

Offline Rachel_79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 May 06 12:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Julie, I keep forgetting about the 1841 census...