Author Topic: Any resources for Durrisdeer for Rea(y)  (Read 22641 times)

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any resources for Durrisdeer for Rea(y)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 September 08 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruadh

I have checked my previous/viewed from SP and checked old notes,I can offer you very little info and what I can offer you I am sure you will have already.

Margaret Rae nee Lorimer died 1867 Sanquhar - info from a note

Thomas Rae/Jean Brown had a daughter Jeanie 19/2/1823 Durisdeer  -  info from a note

David Rae age 47 died 1960 46 Bell st,Glasgow - Robert & Margarets son  -  record from SP,I am sure you will have it already.

re your entire brood vanishing,use Rootschat, put a post on Emigrants to US board  for your missing Rae's.Hope you find them.

Fiona

Offline proteantime

• RootsChat Senior
  • To live, to love, to learn, to leave a legacy...
    • View Profile
Thanks!
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 September 08 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to think I need to narrow down my William a little further and so will dig a little in the Cumbria and come back with something more definitive.

Many thanks,

Kirsten
Beach (Faversham, Whitstable, Kent , Windsor Bucks)
Reay, Waller, Hutton (Cumberland, Westmorland)
Oppenheim (Hamburg, Mecklenberg, Manchester)
Cassell, Dickinson, Walter (London, Kent and Surrey)
Bury, Heywood, Cohen, Sichel (Lancashire)
Thompson (Great Yarmouth, London and Kent)
Brewer, Harvey (Suffolk, Norfolk)
Mathison (Newcastle upon Tyne)
http://www.webpalette.co.uk/Oppenheims.htm
UK Census info. is Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruadh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Fiona.
Yes, I do indeed have the details you mentioned- and many more. I can account for one of the missing Rae brood- Thomas Lorimer Rae. He died at Genessee Falls, New
York, in 1861, aged 21. My suspicion is that he died in the  American Civil War (there was a skirmish at Genessee), but have been unable to substantiate this theory. Och well.
Might catch up with you later on the Jardine/ Canonbie connection, when I've rummaged sufficiently on that line.
good hunting...
Ruadh
ROC (Fodderty/Strathpeffer/Applecross): Bethune/Beaton, Campbell,Livingstone,Urquhart
Argyle:Livingstone,McPhail
Glasgow: Bethune,Campbell, Adam, Anderson,Livingstone,Rae
Dumfriesshire:Campbell,Carlyle,Jardine,Lorimer,Rae,Ramage,Rutherford,Turnbull,Watson.

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

put a post up on the Armed Forces board to see if Thomas Lorimer Rae did die in the American Cicil War,Rootschat are very good at finding people ;).

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 October 08 18:59 BST (UK) »
Apologies for raising this once more, but having been prompted by Fiona, I'll give it another try - its my biggest and most frustrating brick wall.

William Kerr and Isabella Lockie (otherwise Lockhart) had several children, one of them Grizel Rae  Kerr, born 1831 Durisdeer.   However, I am more concerned with another daughter, Mary born 1828 Durisdeer.  Between 1836 and 1839 the whole family moved to Sanquhar (daughter born there 1839).

Mary Kerr (my ggxgrandmother) married James Brown in Sanquhar in 1860 in Kirkconnel by Sanquhar.   James Brown was a widower, with no children by his previous marriage to a much older woman, who had died the previous year aged 63(Mary Scott nee Goodwin).

However, the 1861 census lists two daughers: 
James Brown   Head   Marr.    50    Labourer   Morton, Dumfries
James Brown   Son   Unm   14         Kirkconnel,  Dumfries
Jane Brown   Dau   Unm     6         Sanquahar, Dumfries  (b.1855?)
Isabella Brown   Dau   Unm     3         New Cumnock, Ayrshire (b.1858?)

James Brown son appears to be the result of a liaison between James Snr and a stepdaughter (Rachel Scott) if a submitted entry on IGI is to be believed.

However, there are no birth records for Jane and Isabella, although Isabella certainly falls within the compulsory registration period. (Jane may have been born 1854).

Both girls believed their parents to be James Brown and Mary Kerr (as per marriage certificates) which means the couple must have been having an affair whilst James was still married, but there are no birth registrations for them under Kerr.  (Spent a fortune on SP checking out every possibility).
One clue is that Isabella's death cert. gives her parents as "Mary Kerr afterwards married to James Brown" which seems to imply that James might not have been their father.
Jane in later life takes on the middle name Kerr and gives her maiden name as Kerr on the birth registration of her last child.

I have every piece of documentation on the family after the '61 census (even photographs) - I know how helpful people are, but it is only the births of the girls I need to know.

Possible connections are Aitkens (an Aitken grandchild on the '51 census - have checked out the family - can't establish a relationship, but no Janes or Isabella Aitkens, (or Scotts or Goodwins or Browns).   Could be a Wilson, Howat or Cowan connection (too complicated to go into here - I have reams of stuff).

Anyway, what I am looking for is a Jane (b.1854/55 and an Isabella b. c. 1858 who have disappeared on the '61 census and re-appeared in the Brown household - what was their surname and who were their parents.
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline catchristie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 October 08 16:42 BST (UK) »
Not sure I'm doing this right! Very new to the whole thing. Was doing a google search and stumbled across these messages and they grabbed my attention. Lots of chat about William Rae and Grizel Maxwell (Durisdeer), know this lot quite well as they are my gggg grandparents! Any info on William would be much appreciated as I'm stuck on their marriage in 1768. As a by the by, family lore says that he came from mid lothian or thereabouts. Also I'm from up north too! (Easter Ross)

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 October 08 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi catchristie

Welcome to Rootschat

Not sure I can help you with anymore info as my post above is almost all I have left since passing info onto my uncle.
I couldn't find William and Grizzels marriage,did they marry in Durisdeer.
Fiona

Offline catchristie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 October 08 19:14 BST (UK) »
No, they married in edinburgh (st cuthberts) 1768. Can be found on scotlands people.  Would be interesting to find out more about your uncles side and wether we are connected! I have a very small family and my dad has no first cousins, he is keen to find any living relatives. The family moved to easter ross in the mid/late 1800's and have been on the same farm ever since.

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 October 08 20:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the marriage details of William/Grizzel,found it on the IGI..who moved to Easter Ross in the mid late 1800's?
Fiona