Author Topic: Tracing backwards - pre 1837  (Read 957 times)

Offline jacdee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Tracing backwards - pre 1837
« on: Sunday 14 May 06 14:37 BST (UK) »
How do I go about tracing backwards?
I've gathered all my information from all the censuses and looked on the familysearch site, and now i've hit a brick wall.
I''ve been doing my Crowther family tree, and have got as far back as Richard Crowther born circa 1812 in North Bierley, Yorkshire, who married Martha born circa 1819 in Yorkshire. On the familysearch site I found a possible marriage record - Richard Crowther and Martha Best married 2 October 1834 at St.Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire. How do I now find out who Richard's parents were and if he had any siblings?
Thank you for any help,
Jacdee
Crowther, Mccloud/mcleod, Harrison, Hawthorn, Hicks, Pattison, Shrimpton
This information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RLucyG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Gt Grandad G R M Bates died aged 101 & 240 days
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing backwards - pre 1837
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 06 14:57 BST (UK) »
North Yorkshire; Greenall, Routh, Dawson, Husband, Midgley, Thorpe, Bates, Deighton, Elsworth, Gatenby
West Yorkshire; Johnson, Bates, Hawthorne, Rodger, Houlder, Appleyard, Bagshaw, Garbett, Myers, Rhodes, Thorp, Denton
Ireland; Farrell
Scotland; Dawson
Staffordshire; Hawthorne, Hawthorn, Johnson, Sneyd, Hammersley
Australia; Appleyard

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 May 06 18:11 BST (UK) »
I think it would be best to make sure of Martha's maiden name by getting a birth certificate of one of her children.
Then if the marriage at St Peter's is the right one you could try looking at the actual entry to see if it gives any more information - sometimes it will state father's names or where the people lived and that can help narrow the field.

That said, it looks to me as though Martha is a second wife as she is born 1819 but the eldest child is born 1833 which would make Martha on the young side. It looks likely to me that Mary is a child of an earlier marriage and then Ellen is the first child of Richard and Martha.
That being so then a marriage 1837-1838 is likely. There is one for Richard Crowther reg at Bradford  Sep qtr 1837. Two possible Marthas listed but one has the surname Harrison so I think it likely that is the right one since Harrison is the middle name of one of the boys in the 1851 census.

So, I suggest that you chose one of the children of Martha and Richard, get the birth certificate and find Martha's maiden name. If it turns out to be Harrison get the marriage certificate from 1837  and that should give you father's names and occupations for both Richard and Martha. Then you can perhaps go back to the 1841/51 census and see if Mr Crowther snr was still alive and take it from there :)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacdee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 May 06 18:33 BST (UK) »
Wow!
Thank you so much!
I never thought that martha could be a second wife, i just assumed that maybe her year of birth was abit out. I agree that Harrison seems the likely choice of maiden name, but i will get a certificate to make sure. It's their son Henry that is the main link to my family - i'd like to get his birth certificate, but there seems to be a few Henry Crowthers around and i'm not sure which certificate is the most likely! I'll probably end up getting one of the other children's instead.
Thank you so much for your help - i'm now back on track with my research!

Jacdee
Crowther, Mccloud/mcleod, Harrison, Hawthorn, Hicks, Pattison, Shrimpton
This information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk