Author Topic: HORTON, Hugh  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Ticknall19

• I have chosen not to receive new notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HORTON, Hugh
« on: Sunday 14 May 06 18:43 BST (UK) »
 >:(
I have been trying to trace Hugh Horton born 1867 in Topcliffe N. Yorks for some time.  He appears on 1881 census at 4 Oxford Street, Darlington, with mother and elder brother, Fred/Frederick.  He then disappears totally.  No trace in 1891 or 1901 census.  No mention BDM between 1881 and 1901 (!) 
His father, who was a stone-mason by trade was born Thomas Orton in 1821 in Ampleforth North Riding of Yorkshire.  He died in 1876 at his son's home - Son was George Horton of 87 Gurney Street, Darlington.
Have family tree back to 1720, but this 'brick wall' is bugging me, totally. Has anyone come across the family, and particularly Hugh, at all?
Ticknall19

Offline angiross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HORTON, Hugh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 July 06 08:28 BST (UK) »
hi there. i noticed you r posting

might sound silly but have you looked at all variations of spellings of the name? i have Houghtons in my family from lancashire but have found the spellings to vary a lot. haughton, Horton , houghton, hutton, oughton ertc.
Just a thought
cheers
angi

Offline Blake tree

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 11 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Hugh Horton's father Thomas a stonemason, born in Ampleforth, 1821, is any relation to my g x3 grandfather Robert Horton, also a stonemason and born in Ampleforth c1806.  I'd be very interested to have any info on the family.  I'm guessing that they may be brothers - father could be Joseph Horton, who at the 1841 census is listed as living with his son Thomas, 20 in Ampleforth.  Their listing is only 3 houses away from Leonard Horton and family.  Robert Horton was living with Leonard at the time.  I may be adding 2+2 and getting 5, so it would be great to get confirmation.  Hope to hear from you soon. 
Linda

Offline Ticknall19

• I have chosen not to receive new notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Obviously some years have gone by since my original post, but I have found Hugh, his marriage, his offspring, and his heirs (but no graces!) up to fairly recent days.....
Thank you to those who replied.  I hope you are still out there.
ticknall19