Author Topic: Oh dear, am I ligit????  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
Oh dear, am I ligit????
« on: Monday 15 May 06 13:47 BST (UK) »
On obtaining my Mum and Dad's marriage lines from my elder brother I saw that she had entered her name as Emily Edith, she was always known as Emily but her birth certificate and death certificate has her as Edith Emily.

Now then, as my Dad married Emily does that make me illigitimate? I married Margaret Ann who was also know as Yvonne Janet due to a failure in her adoption. We had to have a special licence to cover both names.

Yours
Mike the B Meldrew.
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Oh dear, am I ligit????
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 May 06 13:58 BST (UK) »
Mike, you think you have problems??  I once knew someone whose parents had disagreed strongly on the choice of names for him when he was born.  Dad tried to put one over on Mum by rushing off to the register office to register him as Brian David or something, but unknown to Dad, the registrar had visited the new mums in the post-natal ward and let them register their babies there and then, so Mum had already got in first with her first choice of Ian Malcolm or something!  He was always known as Ian but both entries were there on the ledger, so that he looked like two different people.  I wonder if he had two National Insurance numbers?!
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 05:28 BST (UK) »
I think they were a bit careless about the order of Christian names back then.  I have struck one or two cases like that in my tree.

MrsLizzt, lol!!  ;D ;D  Heaven help anyone who's trying to track that man down in the future.  It's falsified the register, hasn't it, because it shows one more person than actually was born!!!!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 07:41 BST (UK) »
On obtaining my Mum and Dad's marriage lines from my elder brother I saw that she had entered her name as Emily Edith, she was always known as Emily but her birth certificate and death certificate has her as Edith Emily.

If she was known as Emily then that was her legal name.
It makes no diffrence what her birth certificate, death certificate or even passport says, ones legal name is the name one uses.

Now then, as my Dad married Emily does that make me illigitimate?

No.

I married Margaret Ann who was also know as Yvonne Janet due to a failure in her adoption. We had to have a special licence to cover both names.

Yours
Mike the B Meldrew.
Then whoever married you did not know the law nor did he/she follow the Registrar General's guidelines on the matter.
These state -
"... If either of the Parties has adopted or is commonly known by a Christian Name or Surname other than his or her true Name or Surname, both Names or Surnames should be recorded in the Register Book with the word "otherwise" between them, thus :- "Wilson, otherwise Overton):..."Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 08:29 BST (UK) »
Dont worry Guy my wedding cert say Margaret and also known as ........ so we are o'k.

I'm glad I'm not illigit, I can now tell all the folk who have called me a right "old B" they were wrong!

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire