Author Topic: Much Hadham Marriage Registers TURNER  (Read 642 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Much Hadham Marriage Registers TURNER
« on: Tuesday 16 May 06 05:26 BST (UK) »
Would someone confirm an IGI marriage please.

William Turner married Sarah Thurgood 1 Sep 1795 at Much Hadham I would also appreciate any info attached to the details 

A reference to the marriage was also found in Essex Marriage Licenses.

The info is needed as part of the procedure to determine whether that William Turner was the William Turner baptised in Lindsell, Essex and whether he and wife Sarah returned to Lindsell.  A fellow researcher and myself are both looking for a William Turner ancestor born around 1775 and evidence proves the we do not share the same William Turner.  Fortunately (I think!) there are six to chose from hence the need to know as much as possible about this one.  I will be very grateful for any help.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Much Hadham Marriage Registers TURNER
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Findem,

The Much Hadham Parish Records shews the marriage as   ... 

No.293.  William Turner of the parish of Great Hadham in the county of Hertfordshire and Sarah Thurgood of this parish aforesaid spinsters were married in this church by licence this first day of September 1795.
Witnessed by James Palmer and John Rowley(?)
William signed whilst Sarah made her mark.

Hope this helps.

Regards   ...   Peter

Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Much Hadham Marriage Registers TURNER
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 06 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for helping me once again and so quickly!

Yes it certainly does help, it proves beyond doubt that this particular William Turner is not my ancestor.  A shame really, I found him in 2004, he didn't marry in Lindsell, so! perfect I thought.  I was then really on a roll, a couple of William's ancestors and their siblings almost jumped out of the Lindsell PRs at me.  I came back to Oz a very happy chappy, then I had contact from Heather who also claimed him, correctly I now think.

I think though that Heather will need to prove he went back to Essex and as he was already "of Great Hadham" I would have thought his family would be raised there!

Originally, not having sighted the license details, I thought it was to enable him to marry outside his parish of Lindsell and because he was under 21.  It now appears as though it was only because he was under 21 (baptised 20 Aug 1775 and married 1 Sep 1795).  Although I may be wrong, I really don't know too much about Marriage Licenses, the few I have experienced were very clear cut, having marriage entries that stating either that one or both of the couple were minors or alternatively of a different parish.

Thanks again Peter your time and trouble is greatly appreciated, now to relay the news to Heather.

Regards.

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk