Author Topic: Gravesend Street - Two names for the same place?  (Read 5335 times)

Offline Swampy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Gravesend Street - Two names for the same place?
« on: Tuesday 16 May 06 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I've just read an old post on the Gravesend Historical Society Forum, which indicates that Slaves' Alley, and Bycliffe Row, were two names for the same street. I'd be very grateful if anyone could confirm that please, and perhaps even tell me when the name change occurred?

Many thanks!

Regards,
Swampy
Plumb (London/Surrey/Kent)
Hatherill (London/Surrey)
Chittleburgh (London/East Anglia)
Rowden (Kent)
Jewiss (Kent)

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gravesend Street - Two names for the same place?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Swampy  :)
My Nan lived in Bycliffe Cottages in the 1901 census. It was more Northfleet than Gravesend, owing to the fact that chalk workers were housed there.  I was under the impression that this was also know as "Slaves Alley", as the work working in the chalk quarry was terrible.....well it would be in them times I suspect.  :(
Have you put a posting on the GHS forum?  I have posted on there, and found them quite resonable in answering.
Best wishes.....Iris  :)

Walter Kent/Essex/Staffordshire  Pollard Kent/Sufflok
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent
Flavel / Flavell Staffordshire

Offline Swampy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Iris,

Thanks for your reply! I take your point about it being located more in Northfleet, but as a young boy I spent a lot of time there visiting rellies etc, and I got into the habit of referring to Swanscombe, Northfleet, Rosherville, Gravesend and Milton, collectively as 'Gravesend'. Old habits die hard!!  ::)

The chalk quarries were indeed a dreadful place to work, with living conditions so bad that General Gordon took up their cause during his time in Gravesend.

I was interested to hear that your nan lived in Bycliffe Cottages in the 1901 Census. I also had rellies there in 1901, namely my grandmother & great-grandparents, and my 2xgt grandparents, both living at different addresses though. Maybe your nan knew my people.

I haven't posted anything on the GHS forum yet as I only found it yesterday, and to be honest I didn't think it looked very 'active'. However, I should give it a chance, so I'll probably contribute sooner or later.

Regards,

Swampy  ;)

P.S My 3xgt grandfather, born in Northfleet and wed in Milton, had James & Mary Loft as his marriage witnesses. Are they rellies of yours?

Plumb (London/Surrey/Kent)
Hatherill (London/Surrey)
Chittleburgh (London/East Anglia)
Rowden (Kent)
Jewiss (Kent)

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Swampy  :)
Oh, how I wish my Nan was alive, lots of other people too  :(
My Nan was a SPUNNER, who married into the Walter family. I remember her telling me about Rosherville Gardens.
My Mums parents were the LOFT side. I haven't really gone into the Loft side yet much, but, you never know, James and Mary could well be in there somewhere. I do know that they tended to have rather large families  ;D ::)
Yes, the GHS forum does tend to be a bit slow. I keep saying that I might join it, being born and bred in Gravesend, I would like to know more about the historical side. Apparently, the General Gordon Gardens (the prom), had a small zoo there at one time !!!
Best wishes.....Iris :)
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent

Offline rosherville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 June 10 16:00 BST (UK) »
Two names, two separate places.

Slaves alley was just inside the Gravesend boundary by the junction with Rosherville, by the waterfront. (see cover of Gravesend Revisited).

Bycliffes Cottages are still there, a small row off Pelham Rd.

The connection is that the chalk workings were owned by the occupier of 'Bycliffes' (a large house) near slaves Alley.  He built the cottages off Pelham Rd for some of his workers.

My Gt.grandfather, Edward Anson, was a barge captain for William Fletcher and lived in one of the cottages in 1880.

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 June 10 03:07 BST (UK) »
Is that was is known as Bycliffe Terrace, off of Pelham Poad?

Just had a look at the 1901 census enumaration district and it gives the cottages as around the waterfront area, I like Swampy would love to know :)

Best wishes Iris :)
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent

Offline rosherville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 June 10 09:43 BST (UK) »

Bycliffes House was about 200yds east of Slaves Alley.  (the lodge house is still there, on the Overcliffe by the boundary stone).

Bycliffes Terrace is still there, off of Pelham Rd.

Slaves Alley was marked as such on maps.

I think the confusion arises as the two places were probably referred to by different names by locals.

What was the name of your nan ?

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 June 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, it is a bit confusing.

Nans name was Elizabeth Spunner, but on the 1901 census they have the name as Spunser....lol

Iris :)
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent

Offline rosherville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 June 10 08:27 BST (UK) »

I think it`s correct to say Bycliffes Cottages were in Slaves Alley.

Bycliffes Lodge is still there.