Author Topic: 1881 and 1891 censuses  (Read 14632 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 and 1891 censuses
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 May 06 09:31 BST (UK) »
Is that you leading us up a gum tree, Rhys?  ;D

Found any yet, Mike??

I got distracted, but will look now.

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 May 06 09:55 BST (UK) »
Now, now, chaps! No, no luck in 1881 yet. Even looked under England! Someone is really going to have to put LDS right about which side of the border Monmouthshire lies! And yes, I am aware of the history!!!!

Looks as if this could be a similar blind alley to my Anne Jones from Llansantffraed; remember her, Rhys? The June quarter birth in 1849 turned out not to be her and I've had negative responses from Brecon, Crickhowell and Tredgar ROs. I have a plausible story mapped out in my head, bearing in mind her appearance in Tredegar in 1861 (but we all know the perils of those!!!) and think my next step could be to check the Cefnllys records for the birth of a "base child".

Going back to William G, I have what I think is a distinct possibility for his birth from BMD and may chance a certificate if all else fails. Why do I get the feeling that my Italian family are going to be easier to track down than my Joneses and Griffithses??!?!?

Mike
Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 May 06 10:28 BST (UK) »
I'm only pulling Rhys's leg, Mike!  :)

There is this chap in 1891, don't know whether Merthyr is near enough?

1891  RG12/4437/103/2

William E GRIFFITH H M 57 - Innkeeper - Merthyr
Elizabeth W M 57 - ditto
William H son 16 - ditto
Elizabeth dau 13 - ditto
Phillip son 7 - ditto
 7 servants/ visitors

Address: 19 Lower High St, ( Flex Inn?), Lower Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan

William jr's occupation is given as "Z" which might be nothing, or night be a ditto?

Still looking..

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 May 06 10:35 BST (UK) »
Who was the other witness, Mike?

There is a William stepson to a John GIBBON, wife Ann in 1891.

;)

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 May 06 10:46 BST (UK) »
Merthyr is very close (Pantywaun was on the mountain just above it) but not too sure this family is the right one. My great-grandfather WAS certainly William H(enry), but I note that the surname given is Griffith, not Griffiths, and the age is slightly out. That's not me being picky, but William has been spot on with his age at every other event, based on what I know already and the details on his gravestone.

There were two other witnesses: David Thomas, who would be either the father or brother of the bride per the censuses I hold, and a Richard Ashton.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Mike

Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 May 06 11:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry, A, just registered your last posting. Tell me more about this William stepson; where, how old.............

Mike

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 May 06 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Neither looks quite right, but there are these:

RG12/4439/27/17
Absolom SCRIVENER coal miner/ Ann wife/ William & David stepsons (18 & 13) both born Dowlais
Sand St, Upper Merthyr Tydfil

RG12/4474/92/30
John GIBBON coal miner/ Ann wife/ William 17, David 14, Mary H 11 stepchildren
Llangefelach

I wouldn't worry about a missing "s" on GRIFFITH - could just be an enumerator error, so I certainly wouldn't rule out on those grounds.  A step-parent might not know a child's exact age either, even if the child did!

There are just so many of these WGs!  Do you know of any other siblings or who they married?  What did he call his children?  There might be a clue to his mother's name?

;)

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 May 06 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

I see your points, and appreciate your continued help!

Haven't a clue about the names of any of William's siblings yet, but I do know about his children. One male child, Goronwy, died in infancy. There were seven that survived to adulthood:
Girls: Catherine (my grandmother), Annie Mary, Rhoda, Bronwen, and Eirlys. The first three appear to have been named after my great-grandmother's sisters.
Boys: Delwyn and David. Again, the latter apparently named after a brother of William's wife.

Don't suppose the above will clarify matters any further, but if the names ring any bells with anyone........HELP!!!!!! Incidentally, my great-grandmother and her siblings were raised for many years in the Royal Arms at Pantywaun, where her father, David Thomas, was the licensee.....if that means anything to anyone.

Mike

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 May 06 12:06 BST (UK) »
Reply #11 has a link with the father being an inn-keeper!  But he should be a rail plate-layer, so that is probably wrong.

Just checked out all the Richard ASHTONs in the vicinity in 1891 without finding anything conclusive.  Will try 1901.

Do we have exact addresses from the marriage cert?

;)