Author Topic: GILES Family  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
GILES Family
« on: Tuesday 16 May 06 14:53 BST (UK) »
I have posted this on behalf of someone else

GILES FAMILY. Frank Giles m Ellen Benham
                        Lloyd Gilea m Jane Bone
                        William Giles m Hannah Kimber
                        Samuel jnr m Mary Windebank
                        Samuel snr m Elizabeth Windebank in Wield in 1756.

Samuel was not born in Wield but in Northington in Hampshire. Can anyone help me with who his parents are? Where they married?  Is it true that Samuel was a water bailiff?  Any info gratefully recieved.

Thompson, Jones, Robinson, Jackson, Reed, Edington, Watson, Chisholm, Murrey, Hall, Boggin-Northumberland.<br />Crass, Johnson, Watson-Durham<br />Bigley-Kent<br />Edington-Scotland<br />Jennings-Ireland

Offline weinand

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GILES FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 September 07 18:52 BST (UK) »
sorry i dont know who sams parents were but i have some infomation which is relavent to his wife elizabeth (my 1 cousin 7x removed) i post it as i recieved it from sue knight. i can testifie it is true as i too have seen the parish records.

words by sue knight

Note: There are two Elizabeth Windebanks in Wield of about the same age during the same time period.  One is the daughter of Nicholas and the other the daughter of Thomas, both sons of Nicholas and his wife Elizabeth.  The Wield Manor Court Books for 1740-1859 provide a key in identifying which is which.  When the court was convened on October 27,1800 (page 169), the following item was listed:

"At this court before the Steward and in the presence of the Homage<?> Samuel Giles and Elizabeth his wife which said Elizabeth is eldest daughter and heir of Nicholas Windebank deceased surrendered into the hands of the Lord of the said Manor (she the said Elizabeth being first solely and secretly examined) one Messuage and one little parcel of land to the same belonging and adjoining on the west part thereof in West Wield to the use and behalf<?>of William Giles and his Heir according to the custom of the said Manor"(Hampshire Record Office item 112M97/2 pages 175-176.

Offline atrebatus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Maldoom, Giles, Windebank + wife Lucie Stock's lot
    • View Profile
Re: GILES Family
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 June 08 12:12 BST (UK) »
I agree -- all very confusing what with cousins marrying cousins et cetera.
Below is extract of something I have seen on the net --

"Samuel seems to first appear in Wield documents when he marries Elizabeth and he was described as the bailiff at Armsworth. The Armsworth estate straddles the Wield parish boundary with Old Alresford . . . In about 1745, William Evelyn came to Armsworth and Samuel may have come with him to take the position of bailiff. I believe that the Evelyns had Surrey connections so Samuel may have come from that county or from elsewhere in Hampshire  . . .

regards from Vernon
Giles, Maldoom, Windebank, Collis, Hadsley, Geldart