Author Topic: Clezy, Clezie connections  (Read 78247 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Clezy, Clezie connections
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 01 November 08 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Regarding William Clazey...did he marry a Purves?   If so...then I think that line continues today with a Rick Heiser and his brother...haven't heard from him in a long time but...he (Rick) was a barrister in BC Canada...

sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline anndra

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 01 November 08 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I have a ton of stuff too Sharon. It's making sense of it that's the problem!

Have you seen the marriage of James in Chirnside, 22 OCT 1786,  no name given for spouse. Where does he fit in?

Re your Oswald branch, have you seen the 1881 Census returns:

8 Azalea Tce. Bishopwearmouth Durham
James O. Clazey head b.1820 Etal Northumberland (Ship Owner)
Ellen Clazey wife b.1830 Glanton Northumberland

Schoolhouse Weston by Welland Northampton
James O Clazey head b.1851 Putnam Co, Carmel, NYS (Schoolmaster)
Charlotte Clazey wife b.1854 Bishopwearmouth Durham
George O Clazey son b.1875 Mitford Northumberland
Ellen C Clazey daughter b.1876
Oswald Clazey son b.1878
Maggie Clazey daughter b. 1880
Margaret Gray mother-in-law

Boldon Durham
John O Clazey head b. 1826 Ford Northumberland (Coal Fitter)
John O Clazey son b. 1874 Sunderland Durham

This is from scribbled notes although I have  a spread sheet with all the details somewhere........
Is this your line?

Re George's father, it's William......I'm working on it!

Andrew
Black,Hutton,Lyle,Ayrshire; Dickson,Berwickshire; Haig,Leitch,Clazy,Harle,Berwickshire/Roxburghshire; Low/Lowe,McLagan,Millar,Mclauchlan,Stewart,Douglass, Perthshire; MacKenzie,McAngus,McRae,Skinner,Vass,Ross-shire; McDonald,Duff,Muir, Inverness-shire; Raff,Thomson,Riach, Moray; Shiels,Monteith, East/Midlothian; Meiklejohn,Turcan,Cumming,Nasmyth,Donald, Fife.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 01 November 08 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Chirnside James Clazey spouse is Helen Ker. Claizy is the spelling there.  I have a copy I received from records located at Scotlandspeople.

My line is John Clazey married to Isabella or Isabelle or Isbel Oswald.  Their surviving children were:  George Oswald Clazey, 1815 Trinity Church, Berwick upon tweed; James Oswald Clazey 1819, Etal; John Oswald Clazey, 1824 Etal. There was a daughter, Isabelle who died Walkergate, in 1819...this was same address given for George so I am pretty sure this one also belonged to John and Isabelle.

George Oswald Clazey sailed from Newcastle in 1841. He was a tailor.  The earliest I can find him NY State records is 1850.  He and his wife, Margaret Hall had daughter Elizabeth Loundsberry Clazey, Isabelle Oswald Clazey, Louisa Oswald Clazey and James Oswald Clazey.  My line then descends from James.  There is a line in the states here that descends from Elizabeth (Root); haven't found any yet for Isabelle (Lane); Louisia died in Baltimore, MD - unmarried.

Of the original three boys...George, James and John...James and his wife had no children and John had two.  These two latter along with Isabelle are buried in Bishopwearmouth Cemetery.  George and Margaret and their daughter Isabelle are buried in Raymond Hill Cemetery, Carmel, NY.

Of George and Agnes Middlemist...father is William?  Related to Kathrine (?)  If so, George had a sister Kathrine...

Sharon 
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline patonia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 02 November 08 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello flashMinor! I think that we are probably 4th cousins, perhaps one or two generations removed. Yes, Mary Steele b. 5 Jan. 1802 in Coldingham was a direct ancestress of mine. She, with her husband John Clezy (who had earlier been Rector of Selkirk Academy) and their children, emigrated to South Australia in 1849. As you remarked, many of Mary's Steele siblings also came to South Australia around the mid-1800s. These included Elizabeth (Mrs. John Disher) who preceded the Clezys; Isabella, who accompanied the Clezys; Robert Moore Steele; and your ancestress Margaret (Mrs. John Gordon).

One of the daughters of  John & Mary Clezy was Isabella Steele Clezy. She married Rev. William Brown (a Methodist clergyman) and they had a daughter who was my paternal grandmother.

Sharon, you mentioned that a family bible had ended up in Rochester, NY. We are living in Western New York at present, although we spend part of our time in Australia.

Bob

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 03 November 08 01:36 GMT (UK) »
In one of the letters I received from Dr. Clezy several years ago, he said that John Clezy had run into some difficulty with the authorities.  I am sure it was over ecumenical matters...anyways...John changed the spelling of the last name back to an older version...according to Dr. Clezy.

I have not seen the book. Would love to know where to find a copy!

Sharon

Offline anndra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 03 November 08 13:27 GMT (UK) »
ScotlandsPeople index of marriages for Cl*z* gives four marriage entries for James, three to Helen Ker, and one 'name not given':
  1. 13/07/1786 CLAEZY JAMES - HELEN KER/FR535 M Hutton (Berwick)
  3. 20/10/1786 CLAIZY JAMES -  HELEN KER/FR387 494 M Chirnside
  4. 20/10/1786 CLAIZY JAMES -  HELEN KER/FR387 494 M Chirnside
12. 22/10/1786 CLAZY JAMES  -  NAME NOT GIVEN//FR494 M Chirnside
I've looked at all of them now and whilst the second two are obviously duplicates The difference in dates between 1. & 2. of over 14 weeks seems a lot for the reading of Banns.......... The last entry is only for paying a fee of one shilling. Presumably he didn't take enough money on the day of the wedding! I had a marriage recorded for my 3ggrandfather on the same basis when he must have paid the dues for one of his many grandchildren....when he was 84.

Re John to Isabella Oswald, who was John's father? I assumed from previous posts that it was James, son of George and Agnes Middlelist.............
Andrew

Black,Hutton,Lyle,Ayrshire; Dickson,Berwickshire; Haig,Leitch,Clazy,Harle,Berwickshire/Roxburghshire; Low/Lowe,McLagan,Millar,Mclauchlan,Stewart,Douglass, Perthshire; MacKenzie,McAngus,McRae,Skinner,Vass,Ross-shire; McDonald,Duff,Muir, Inverness-shire; Raff,Thomson,Riach, Moray; Shiels,Monteith, East/Midlothian; Meiklejohn,Turcan,Cumming,Nasmyth,Donald, Fife.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 00:46 GMT (UK) »
John was the son of James and Helen Ker.  He was baptized in Longformacus and I have a copy of that document.  In addition to that, John Oswald Clazey, youngest son of John and Isabelle has on his marriage certificate (the original one in possession of Sue Prust), father, John Clazey born in Longformacus.

Now...in regards to one of John's brothers, James who married a Greenlaw in Caithness...there were two boys and two girls of that marriage I have found to date. The boys, William and John left England and came to the US abt. 1850. One was only 13 at the time. They settled in Ohio.  Their name was Clazey until the children came along and the spelling changed to Clasey.   I was contacted years ago by a researcher doing the work on behalf of John's wife and her line...both men are buried in Ohio. William died...John died...left all children orphans.  I do not know if there was an epidemic of some kind.   I do have copies of their naturalization papers from the US government. Took me years to figure out how these two connected but finally got them to James.  That was one of those eureka moments...they would have been George's cousins...I often wonder if the boys came because George was already here...

Sharon

Offline anndra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I thought that that was the line but was concerned that John was only 17 when George was born.....

Now, George married to Agnes Middlemist, his father....

At that time the family followed closely the convention of first male child named after father's father, second after mother's father, third after father, fourth after father's grandfather, etc.

We have William, first son of George, had male children: 1. George 1786, John 1787, William 1790. which follows the convention.
John, second son of George, I have not yet tracked down issue.
James, third son of George, had male children: 1. George 1787, John 1798, James 1802. which follows the convention.
George fourth son of George, had male children: George 1793, Adam 1800, William 1807. which follows the convention.

I think it is very clear therefore that George's father was William.

The contender's:-

I can find only one - William b. 06/08/1704, Hutton, son of William and Katharin Scougal/Liongat/Lidgat.

The theory is therefore:

Source 1. William Clazy b.c.1680 m. Katharin ? Hutton 14/06/1703

Issue   1.1 William   b.06/08/1704 Hutton
   1.2 Elizabeth b.10/03/1706 Hutton
   1.3 Joseph     b.31/05/1713 Swinton

1.1 William b. 06/08/1704 Hutton m ?

Issue   1.1.1 William b.?
   1.1.2 George b.c 1730 m. Agnes Middlemist 02/06/1751
   1.1.3 Thomas b 15/08/1737 Edrom
   1.1.4. Jean b.23/07/1740 Ladykirk
   1.1.5 Kathrine b.30/01/1745

That's the theory anyway, now I just have to prove it!

Do you have anything that will help to prove or disprove it?

Andrew

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 01:36 GMT (UK) »
I will begin pulling out all the old, old papers I have as well as the paper family tree I started about 15 years ago.  It was a way to try and keep these constantly changing lines visible!!! I literally had this huge sheet on my wall so I could move folks around and just look at it all and think! This was long before all the records which are now available on the computer.

I always knew that Thomas and Joseph were connected somehow. But couldn't tie them in.

Let me take a look...a bit distracted here as tonight is the election...and all of us here on this street are running in and out...moved a tv outside...everytime a state falls to Obama we are yelling!!! Historic...