Author Topic: What's your SHORTEST branch?  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What's your SHORTEST branch?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 14:12 BST (UK) »
My shortest line is my maternal grandfather.  ;D 
I have NO idea who he was
My mother was born out of wedlock. :(

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 14:15 BST (UK) »
My paternal grandfather, another one born out of wedlock, his father is an utter dead-end, no clue as to even a name first or second.

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 15:51 BST (UK) »
My GGG Grandfather William Scholey b1841.  There's no baptism or birth registered (or for any similar name) and I can't find him before the 1871 census.  I have his marriage and his death, both suggest he's born in 1841.  On the marriage, both parents are down as John but his wife's father wasn't John, he was Patrick (and she's on a census with her mother and father aged 6).  So, William's father may not be John at all.  I have also searched for births at sea.

Andrew

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 16:11 BST (UK) »
My husband's paternal grandfather from Scotland who on arrivng in Hull said his name was Kenneth Harley. He married a girl 20 years his junior who already had an illegitimate son.

He actually does not exist on any records!!! No one knows anything about his background even his children who are now quite old and they have been quizzed believe me.

My bet is that he had another wife and family somewhere that he abandonded but I don't think that we will ever know.

Sue

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
E Yorks: HALL, HARLEY, HARVEY, HULLAH, PORTER, PRESTON.
Essex: HARVEY, SMITH. ONG, HUMM/HUME
Norfolk: TUCK
Lincs: ADAMS, HOLLAND.

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 May 06 00:14 BST (UK) »
Morning all :)
  Mine!!!,My mum was married in 1959,I was born in 1960.
  Unfortunatly,mum was an alchoholic,,and there is a query about my fathers identity :(....................,I dont know his name,Everyone who could help,has passed, and most of the family kept there mouth shut.
 I dont hold it against mum,I just wish I had been told anything,But I do get sad when I look at my tree,and theres me,and thats it!
           BUT...IM ok ;D ;D ;D ;
                 love chrissy.

Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 May 06 00:37 BST (UK) »
For me it would have to be my maternal and paternal 2x greatgrandparents on my fathers side, the reason being that all my greatgrandparents came from Ireland, and all I have are names of their parents which are fairly common names and althought I do know where each family is from in Ireland, there is very little information available, probably not the shortest, but certainly one of the most frustrating. :'( :'(

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 May 06 01:52 BST (UK) »
Well mine has to be my Great Grandmother and she is proving the hardest to find as well

Elizabeth Williams born 1872. In 1901 census she is down as being born in Llanddeusant, Anglesey. But I cannot fins her anywhere at all in the previous census'

My Dad sent for the marriage cert and it states her father as John Williams - Slate Insurer. So I looked in 1891 and nothing! Anywhere! In 1881 I found John Williams and his family and there is an Elizabeth but she is born in Caernarvon!

So which do I go with? Even though I have her marriage cert with her father's name I still haven't added him - not sure why - just have a funny feeling about it.

So she is one of my main shortest lines. There are a few others but we won't start on them otherwise I will be here all night lol

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 May 06 16:36 BST (UK) »
My shortest lines, a.k.a. my dead ends:

In Canada:  my father’s paternal grandfather was illegitimate.  Apparently, his mother never told him the name of his biological father:  great-great-granny took that secret to her grave.

All of my father's Canadian ancestors:  I don’t know where any of them were from in England, Scotland and Ireland, nor do I know their parents’ names.

In England:  my g-g-grandmother, Sarah Pope, born about 1845-1848 in Whitechapel.  All I have is her marriage record, her son’s birth record, and a million fruitless searches.

She married William Thomas George on 2 June 1868 in Bethnal Green.  She said her father’s name was Robert Pope.  Her maiden name was Pope on her son’s birth registration, too.

I only have her for certain (or as sure as I can be) in 1881:

12 Thomas Street, Bethnal Green, London, Middlesex

William George, married, 38, born Bishopsgate, Middlesex, Poultry Porter
Sarah George, married, 36, born Whitechapel, Middlesex
Annie George, 7, born Whitechapel
Jane George, 4, born Whitechapel
Henry George, 1, born Whitechapel [my great-grandfather; he was actually born in Bethnal Green]

I might have William (age 25, a Porter, born Bishopsgate) and Sarah George (age 23, born Whitechapel), in 1871 in Mile End Old Town, with daughters Sarah, 3, and Elizabeth, 1.  How inconsiderate of those daughters not to have survived into 1881!

FreeBMD has a birth for a Sarah Pope in Whitechapel in 1845.  I ordered it and thought I had the right girl until I had a subscription to www.ancestry.co.uk and tracked the family.  The Sarah in the birth record I received must have died in infancy and, besides, the father wasn’t named Robert.

I can’t find any Robert Pope in 1851 or 1861 with a daughter named Sarah of the right age born in or around Whitechapel.  I have a feeling I will never learn anything about Sarah’s family.  If she wasn’t born in Whitechapel, I have no way of knowing it, and I have no way of knowing her correct birthdate.

William Thomas George died in 1883 in Bethnal Green with his wife, Sarah, present.  That’s the last I know of her.

There’s also my great-great-grandfather, Henry Parker, whose father was supposedly John (per his marriage record).  But the only Henry Parker I can find born about 1860 in Chatham, Kent (per the 1881 census, which again is the only sure sighting I have of him) is the son of Thomas Parker and Elizabeth Collins.  I’ve found baptisms for 10 of their 12 children.  Guess whose baptism I haven’t found:  Henry’s, of course, and one of his sister’s.  FreeBMD and ancestry’s bmd don’t have a birth record for a Henry Parker in Medway around 1860.  There’s a Henry J. Parker, but that’s not the same guy (of course:  that would be too easy).

My husband's great-grandmother, Georgina Salisbury, born about 1860 in Birkenhead, Cheshire or Liverpool, Lancashire.  I can't find her marriage to Andrew Christy (between 1881-1891), so I don't know her father's name.  The story was that Georgina's father was a bargemaster and she was born on a barge.  I can't identify a birth that might be hers on FreeBMD. 

I've got her in 1881-1901.  She's not the Georgina Salisbury from Hackney.

In 1871, in Birkenhead, Cheshire, there's a Thomas Sailsbury, boarder, widower, 44, born Manchester, with Francis Jones, boarder, 12, born Birkenhead, and Gorgenna Sailsburgh, boarder, 11, born Liverpool.  I don' t know if this is her and her father.  I couldn't find them in 1861.

In 1851, there's a Thomas Salisbury, married, born in Manchester, living in Manchester, but he's visiting someone with his wife and possible children.  Of course.  This guy's a labourer in 1851 & 1871.

In 1861, there's a James Sailsbury, 20, unmarried, and George Sailsbury, married, 36, both working on a coal barge.  When I had a subscription to ancestry, I had no luck tracking them in 1871.

I read all of this back with gnashing of teeth and seriously question my sanity!  ; )

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 May 06 16:53 BST (UK) »
Until a couple of weeks ago, my researches on BOTH my grandfathers ended with THEM  :o  (and that's with quite a few years' research on my side, and various other relatives searching as well).  I've only just recently managed to track down a bit more info on one of the grandfathers.....

On the whole, 'shortest' branches seem to be due to things like losing track of someone (ie through divorce, etc), illegitimacy, or in the case of one of my grandfathers, running away from something and trying to cover his tracks.... :-\

Clara

Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex