Author Topic: Croghan  (Read 17218 times)

Offline WELCOME

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Croghan
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 October 09 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazel and Lesley,
               Just happen to read your mail on roots today and delighted to see so many interested in Croghan. I live at the foot of the hill and well aware of the areas you write about. I'm also very interested in the Old Graveyard on the Hill as its special because my grandfather is buried here.
I have read the headstones over a number of years and have these recorded. I would still love to hear from people who think their ancestors may be buried in Croghan Hill Graveyard. I would like as much info on each person that you feel my be buried there.
Croghan Hill graveyard is probably one of the most important sites in Ireland as it was at this site that St Brigid received her veil from Bishop McCaille. His church is recorded as being located at this graveyard.
If your ancestor was buried here I would love to hear about it as most people had no headstone.
Regards,

Welcome Oliver.

Offline Genieologist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 04:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am a descendant of William Jollie (spelled Jolly/Jolley in Ireland) and Margaret Sadlier of Croghan, Killapogge, Roscommon County.

William was born about 1819 and Margaret was born 8 Aug 1841. William was married first to Annie. We don't know her maiden name.

Son James encouraged and helped his family members to immigrate to North Dakota where he was First Sergeant at Ft Totten and where he met his wife, Marie Belgarde, a member of the Turtle Mountain Tribe and who actually translated for Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse at some point. James was a "Winner of the West" and had his own story to tell. Their story is a very interesting one and is kept alive today by family members in ND.

My own ancestor, his sister, came over with another sister at age 16 and made their way to ND while other family members made their way separately. The family did leave some members behind and certainly there must have been other relations who stayed behind.

Some family members have been to Croghan and seemed to have identified the family hearth--a small cottage. In fact, as of the last reunion, they told us that they saw a picture of William and Margaret still in the home! I would like to see this for myself.

We know that they leased property from Guy Lloyd, the major landowner in the area, but we do not know much else except they were probably members of the C of I.

We would love to find information that would lead us to William's family and Margaret's as well as the identity of Annie, the first spouse.

We know that twins Kate and Emma were born 7 May 1873 and were buried in the Croghan, Killapogge area as infants. Their births were registered in the Ballinameen Registrar's District. 

Brothers George (b. 1857) and William (1855-1885) were in the English service and it's not known if they were buried near home. George died in service. William didn't fare much better.

We would love to know where these family members are buried as well.

The story of the Croghan Hill Cemetery prompted me to join this thread and add my two cents.

Hopefully, someone in the Croghan area itself will have other information to add as they read this.

Robert

Offline WELCOME

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 November 10 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,
Good to see your message. There are a number of Croghan townlands in Ireland and it seems that you are writing about the one in Co Roscommon.
The Croghan Hill Cementry that I wrote about is located in Co. Offaly.
You family history story is interesting and hopefully someone in Roscommon will be able to help.

Regards

Oliver :)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 November 10 19:09 GMT (UK) »
The Offaly County Council website states that a register for each cemetery must be kept near or, as close as possible to each cemetry, and only be updated by one person only.
Thus there must be a local register person for Croghan, and Birr Town Council have the responsibility for the cemeteries, and they can be contacted at birrtc[at]offalycoco.ie
and could provide the name of the Croghan register.

Jack

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [at] with @

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 November 10 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Found these two weddings, but not to Mary Holcombe.

Australian and New Zealand Gazette; Sat. 4/7/1868
London, Middlesex, United Kingdom.

April 29th, at Christchurch, Mr. Willam Farquharson, late of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, to Miss Jane Gillian, of Meghroney, Antrim, Ireland.

1862;
Charles, 3rd son of William Farquharson, late of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, to Margaret, 2nd dtr of William Hanlon esq, Kilkenny Ireland.

Jack

Offline Genieologist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Oliver.

My Jolley/Jolly query should obviously be ignored on this thread, which refers to Offaly.

Thanks for catching that.

Robert