Author Topic: Scott's decorators (Pentre)  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Scott's decorators (Pentre)
« on: Wednesday 17 May 06 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Does anyone remember a painter's and decorator's shop in Pentre, Rhondda, run by a Gertrude Mabel (Gertie) Scott? She lived from 1886-1971, so it presumably flourished between the wars but may well still have been around until comparatively recently. Can anyone come up with an address - and whether the business was sold on and maybe still exists?
   Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: Scott's decorators (Pentre)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth

And a belated welcome to Rootschat, I have so long waited for someone else to mention "the Scotts" from Wales, I'd like to call you kin, but I think your Scotts hale from Roxburghshire ??? Gertrude also?

As things would go......I have a Gertrude M Scott born prob. Cardiff abt. 1889 to George Scott and Emma Moses, but no further info.

It's great to see I'm no longer alone with my Welsh Scotts  ;D

All best

Wendi

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth, I know the Pentre area well...  I am not aware of any shop currently that sells paint etc, none called Scotts either. 

Will enquire and if I find anything will get back to you.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 06 12:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cas,
   Even if there had been a shop still in business I wouldn't have expected it to be called Scott's. I think Gertrude died an old maid and so there wouldn't have been any children to pass it on to.
   But I'd appreciate any info you can dig up.
     Regards, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 May 06 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth,

Do not know if you have these details?

Checked the 1891 census and address is 71 Llewellyn Street, which is the main highstreet through Pentre, there are still shops but nothing like the hayday when your folks lived there.

1901 has the family at 77/78 Llewellyn Street.  head, Henry occ. House painter & oil & colour shop.  Will check when I am next through there if these houses are still there.

I also have the local burial index, cannot find Gertrude, but if you want me to see if I can find other family members you can then obtain internment info, which will confirm address at death, also Treorchy library has a family ref section which maybe able to help with history of the shop.

Cas

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 May 06 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Cas,
    That's brilliant. Henry was Gertrude's father (and the brother of my gt-grandfather) and I knew he was a painter himself, so I thought he might well have started the shop.
   When I was young I remember talk of the Misses Scott, who lived at The Croft, Ton Pentre, in the 1960s. One of them may well have been Gertie, who died 11.11.1971, and there were a couple of her sisters who never married.
   I'd appreciate if you could check out your burial index for Henry Dodd Scott (the father), his wife Jane (nee Roberts) or any of the other kids: Robert John, Florence Jean, Lilian, Albert Henry, Gladys May, Meta Margarita (died at birth), Evelyn Maud and twins Nesta Victoria and Elsie Olivia. They would have had to sell a few tins of paint to feed that lot!
    Thanks a lot,
        Gareth

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 May 06 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth, the Croft was/is a well to do area, very near the police station and Maindy Cresent, this is in Ton Pentre.  Pentre and Ton pentre are next to each other, seperated  by a river with a bridge to cross.  Check this link for old photos from Treorchy library, click 'pentre'

http://ljh.d2g.com:81/photos/

Will look up the index and pm you any Scotts in Treorchy cem.

Cas

Lewis - Breckonshire

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 May 06 16:24 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mentioned you can request internment info via email (no cost)

Also check burial numbers at the bottom of the interment records to see if they match any on the Scott list.  These (if any are present) are usually family members in the same plot, buried previously, so you will know they are related.

Cas

Lewis - Breckonshire