Author Topic: ROWLEY - Boer War?  (Read 549 times)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
ROWLEY - Boer War?
« on: Saturday 18 February 06 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Izabel

I have been searching for information for my nan's cousin, Her father Frederick Rowley died in WWI 1916 battle of the Somme, and she didnt know anything of her fathers background - she thinks he was orphaned at a young age.

After much digging I have found that his mother died in 1885 when Frederick was 4 years old. His father George Rowley was found to be a Lance Corporal in the 1881 census based in Angelsea Barracks, Portsea, Hampshire, - he is listed as Eton Com'd Officer in 57th Regiment( ???) - he was from Birmingham.

We cant find him in any further censi and presume he might have died in either of the Boer Wars - his son was brought up by his wife's parents and sister.

I would be so grateful if you could search for us - nan's cousin is now 93 and would love to hear what happened to her Grandparents

Fingers crossed XX ;)
CHEERS
JAN
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!