Author Topic: Can anyone read this name for me please  (Read 2775 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Can anyone read this name for me please
« on: Thursday 18 May 06 03:58 BST (UK) »
I cannot sleep tonight so decided to do some research while it is nice and quiet. I thought I would have al ook at my "Not too sure if they are definite" Names

The name I want to check is the mothers name for Hugh Burns. His Father is Peter Burns (deceased) and then mother is Agnes Burns M.S. ?

Is it Nilson, Nielson, Neilson, Hilson or what?

Hugh is hubby's Great Grandad and he had a half brother named William Wallace. He was born in Aug 1846 in Eckford and on Scotlandspeople site the entry is there with father named as John Wallace and mother Agnes Nielson. Her year of birth on every census is either 1814 or 1815 and she was born in Melrose. I rushed into it when I first started and found an Agnes Nielson born Aug 1814 in Kelso (which is also where Hugh was born) and her father was Thomas Nileson.

The main problem now is that I have found her on the 1851 census (thanks to help from two kind people on here) and then in 1841 census (thanks to someone else) In the 1841 she is married to John and has a son named John. In 1851 she is widowed and has 3 sons - John, James and William. Now if the naming is correct - John would be after John Snr's father and James after hers wouldn't it?

I have a funny feeling this is Hilson as in 1841 she has an Isabell Hilson aged 57 living with her and the family, also born in Scotland.

Can anyone help me please

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Ros Fornaro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read this name for me please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 May 06 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Could it be Wilson.

Ros
Bell Coatbridge Sct
Cassels Dunbarton Lnk Sti Sct
Heggie Lnk Sct
Lusty Gls Eng Lnk Sct
McLuckie Stirling Sct
Moss Leek Sts Eng Vic Aust
Pride Gls Eng Geelong Vic Aust

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 06 05:07 BST (UK) »
It really looks like Hilson to me.  The stroke goes across the middle of the letter...

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 06 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros

I don't think so as I have been trying to check it out myself with trusty magnifying glass.

It looks a lot like a H. If you check out the name of the place they married which is Hutton - the H is very similar

It looks like I have answered my own question here doesn't it? lol

I think I just needed someone to confirm what I am seeing

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 May 06 05:09 BST (UK) »
I know Marie

The more I look at it the more I am convinced it is a H

Carol

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 May 06 05:17 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure it's Hilson.  It definitely looks like an H to me.
 :)
Prue

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 May 06 05:22 BST (UK) »
Go on you can tell me I got it wrong - again !  :'(

Oh well now to get that deleting button working (again!)

It would be easier to send for Hugh's birth cert but as I don't know the exact year it is going to be very difficult (and a bit more expensive than if I knew the year)

In the 1861 census she has Hugh as 5 years old which would make him born in 1855 - 56.  BUT she has his half brother down as 13 making him born in 1847 and he was born in in 1846

in the 1871 Hugh is 15 so again 1855-56

in 1875 when he gets married he is 22 which makes him born in 1853

in 1881 he is 27 which makes him born 1853

1891 - 37 and 1901 - 47

When he died in Jan 1935 he was 79 years old which makes him 1855

So I have a wide range between 1853 and 1856. I have searched on Scotlandspeople and no joy in either of the search engines (upto 1854 and the other is after)

Carol

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 May 06 06:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

You can ask Scotlandpeople to send you a better copy of this entry so you can view it more clearly. They will gladly oblige you a free copy if you ask for it as you paid for it. :)

I think the surname was Hisburgh or Hasiburgh--something to that effect.  And her forename looked like Jane. Or my eyes are not good enough to read these ancient handwriting!

Good luck,

Tees

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 May 06 00:27 BST (UK) »
Jane Horsburgh,
Tomkin