Author Topic: Can anyone read this name for me please  (Read 2776 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read this name for me please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 May 06 15:41 BST (UK) »
Carol,

Well, I guess there are quite a few avenues to follow up.

1. As you say, if you can find a marriage of Agnes to John WALLACE, that could help - but it might not be possible to find a record.

2. I suggested that you yourself look at the film of the Eckford Roxburghshire Scotland parish register (or purchase a copy of the entry from GROS) for the baptism of William WALLACE, bap 23 Jun 1846, parents John WALLACE and Agnes NILSON.  It's possible that NILSON is a transcription error and you might see the name as HILSON; alternatively, of course, it might definitely be NILSON.

3. From your further information, it seems that there are also two older sons, both born in England (where Statutory Registration started in Sep 1837 compared with a start date of 1855 for Scotland) - John WALLACE (10 mths in 1841; 10 in 1851) and James WALLACE (7 in 1851) both born Northumberland.  As both were born in England, it should be possible to get their birth certificates - Agnes's maiden surname might be crystal clear on these.

The IGI has the following entry:
WALLACE John, bap 2 Aug 1840, Lucker Northumberland England, parents John WALLACE and Agnes

FreeBMD has the following entry:
WALLACE John, Tynemouth, Mar qtr 1840, Vol 25 Page 379

However, Tynemouth and Lucker, from the map, are a long way apart ...

FreeBMD has a couple of possibilities for a James WALLACE b Northumberland ca 1844 +/- 2.

But it would mean buying the certificates ...

JAP
PS: For information - you mentioned that they were in "Heaton or Heiton" in 1851.  Gazetteers list, and maps show, a place called Heiton in Roxburghshire - about half-way between Kelso and Eckford.

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 May 06 17:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jap

Never even thought of looking for the birth certs for John or James ( must be getting old! lol)

Will try all that later on tonight

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 June 06 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

So it looks like that the surname Burns is out of the window according to the postings here?

Also there is WILLIAM Burns born in 1855/7 in Kelso.

He is only ONE male BURNS on this list.

Let me know ASAP so I would not search further on ScotlandsPeople for you. :)

Fingers crossing for you that you find your "Hugh Burns."

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees again lol

Well still haven't found our Hugh but it looks like this family liked to keep changing their names to suit the time!

As I said in another post he was Hugh all the way through the census even though his father changed from Patrick to Peter between 1851 and 1861. In 1851 Agnes was widowed and only had the 3 sons so the father couldn't be her 1st husband John Wallace. In 1861 Peter/Patrick is the head and she is down as Agnes Burns

So I am not sure where to even go from here

Thanks again for your help

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 June 06 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Have you a marriage cert on Patrick/Peter Burns and Anges Nielson/Wallace?

It is a possiblity they never get married.

It can be helpful if you have this information and sometimes it can clue us onto where Hugh may have born in.

I am starting to think Hugh was born elsewhere out of Scotland.

OR Hugh Burns was a child of Patrick/Peter Burns', not Anges'.

That is all I could think of now. I have found a Hugh Burns with the father of Peter Burns but with a different mother.

It happened to my great-granny in Ireland--it seems she always thought her mother was what she knew. I recently found her birth record but the parentage was not what it should be. It seems she grew up thinking her mother was hers. I am currently waiting a word from the church in Ireland to confirm whether I am on spot about this or not.

No wonder she led me in circles for many years with her parentage.

Regards,

Tees

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 June 06 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees

No I have been unable to find a marriage for Peter / Patrick and Agnes.

Where was the Hugh burns with father Peter born? Is it in Roxburghshire at all? What is the mother's name?

I know that Peter Burns was actually Patrick in 1851 and was just a lodger with Agnes and there was no sign of Hugh or another woman at all and if I am correct Patrick / Peter was single - just going to check - No he is down as unmarried. By 61 they are classed as man and wife though in a different area so maybe she just took his name though her death entry is under Burns

Oh what a family this is !!!!  :-\

Confusing is definitely not the word for them lol

Thanks  so much for all your help - you are a little star

Carol