Author Topic: Birth Cert - where do I get it from  (Read 5810 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Birth Cert - where do I get it from
« on: Thursday 18 May 06 05:27 BST (UK) »
I need to send off for my hubby's Great Grandad's birth cert and not sure where to send for it.

Do they have separate Records Offices in each county in Scotland or is there just the main one? I need the Roxburghshire (Kelso) one if there is one

Does anyone know where it will be? And are the prices the same as in England?

Never sent for one from Scotland before so don't even know where to start

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Cert - where do I get it from
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 May 06 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

You just write a letter with all the relevant details and send it off to the GRO in Edinburgh, Scotland. The certificate will cost you 15 pounds (if I recalled correctly as I ordered one myself a while ago).

The price for the certificate up in Scotland is a bit expensive than English one.

I must advise you that if you were to order any information on entries prior to 1855--it is much like an information you would find in any ordinary parish records (they are parish register records, not civil ones).

You can order one yourself online through the Scotlandspeople site.

Good luck,

Tees

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 06 06:50 BST (UK) »
The price for the certificate up in Scotland is a bit expensive than English one.

You are right there, Tees, but when you consider the amount of information you get on a Scottish certificate, by crikey it's worth it!!!  ;D 
I would rather pay 15 quid for a Scottish cert than 7 for the English ones which sometimes give you very little more than you already knew  :-\ 

Good luck Carol!
Prue

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 06 06:56 BST (UK) »
Prue,

If you have seen her posting on the marriage entry--she said that Hugh was born sometimes between 1850 to 1856.

IF Hugh was born between 1855 and 1856, she can find him on Scotlandspeople at much cheaper rate. Yes, this is worth every penny because it contains more information than English ones.

HOWEVER, the records before 1855 are not much--they are the parish records.

That is what I am saying. :)

Yes, I absolutely agree with you that Scottish certificates worth every penny!! I am a bit jealous of my uncle who have nearly all of his family based in Scotland--I am amazed at the wealth of information he had in these certificates.

Cheers,

Tees

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 May 06 09:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, I know about the parish records but we were talking about birth certificates...I did see the post about the marriage, but hadn't put 2 + 2 together. 

Carol might be very lucky and get a nice, full, descriptive early official birth registration!  I hope so, Carol  :D

Prue

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 May 06 15:12 BST (UK) »
Now , now Ladies (lol) Have I caused some disruption here today? - Sorry

Thanks to you both for the info. I am going to start praying that he was born after 1855 (well according to all the census he is)

Maybe he lied about his age to get married He would have been 20 if he was born in 55 so he would have been too young to marry wouldn't he?

Do you think it might be worthwhile sending for his death cert from Northumberland? Would that give his date of birth or anything?

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 May 06 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol!

Oh, I am sorry that the English death certificate just listed his occupation, date of death and cause, status (of marriage or not) and the informant and address.

It can be useful if you wanted to know who was his wife that is only if she was the informant.

Also, you can determine whether he was born in 1855 or not based on the age stated on his death certificate.

You would have to forgive the limited information found on the English certificates.

Once again, good luck! Have you tried to find him on Scotlandspeople? Perhaps I can try and find him for you there in the evening.

Best wishes,

Tees

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 May 06 18:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tees

I would be grateful if you could

His parents were Peter Burns and Agnes (either Hilson, Nilson or Nielson) He was born in Kelso so his census states.

I don't know if his parents married as in 1851 she was a widow and he was the lodger but in 1861 she was under the name Agnes Burns. Also Peter Burns is listed as Patrick Burns in the 1851

Good Luck and Thanks in advance

Carol

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 May 06 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

When was he born roughly? In 1855? Correct? What was his name?

I will take a look for you--hopefully, something turns up.
:)

Don't you have an access to the Scotlandspeople?

Kind regards,

Tees