Author Topic: Birth Cert - where do I get it from  (Read 5811 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Cert - where do I get it from
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 June 06 18:31 BST (UK) »
Do you think it might be a good idea to send off for a birth cert with the years 1853 - 56 and parents names and just see what they can find for me?

Do they contact you before sending the cert out as some other offices do?

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 June 06 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I have spoken to a lovely person who worked at the Scotlandspeople. She agreed to take up your challenge.

She got to me recently--apparently, there is no record of your Hugh Burns in the birth entries or OPR records.

She believes that he may have been born outside of Scotland.

I am afraid that you would have to "accept" the fact that we would have to take his word that he was born in Scotland. I think you and I have a same problem with our ancestor--one of my ancestors was not registered at all. The censuses stated he was born in certain place but there is no record of him being born!

I felt bad about not finding your Hugh Burns. Thought it would be no problem in finding him...

Well, at least, you know that he was an actual person!!

I wish you the best wishes and every success in finding him if you ever find him. :)

Kind regards

Tees

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 June 06 20:42 BST (UK) »
There is always the possibility that he was not baptised in the Church of Scotland but some other denomination.  This would explain the lack of a record in the OPR which are for Church of Scotland only.  Records for other churches are generally held by the National Archives for Scotland but not available online.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 June 06 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Nell does have a valid & good point--try and ask for his baptism record with other religious denominations.

It did happened to my cousin's great granny--he thought she was baptised in the same church as my great granny. It turned out she was not!! But in other church in the same town!  ::)

Once again, good luck! ;D

Best wishes

Tees

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 July 06 12:39 BST (UK) »
Where would I be able to get his Baptism record from? Just the parish church or do they have it somewhere online?

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 July 06 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I have spoken to a lovely person who worked at the Scotlandspeople. She agreed to take up your challenge.

She got to me recently--apparently, there is no record of your Hugh Burns in the birth entries or OPR records.

She believes that he may have been born outside of Scotland.

I am afraid that you would have to "accept" the fact that we would have to take his word that he was born in Scotland. I think you and I have a same problem with our ancestor--one of my ancestors was not registered at all. The censuses stated he was born in certain place but there is no record of him being born!

I felt bad about not finding your Hugh Burns. Thought it would be no problem in finding him...

Well, at least, you know that he was an actual person!!

I wish you the best wishes and every success in finding him if you ever find him. :)

Kind regards

Tees

I don't know how to Thank you Tees for all your hard work - an absolute Angel tht is what you are!  :-*

Carol

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 01 July 06 12:46 BST (UK) »
Where would I be able to get his Baptism record from? Just the parish church or do they have it somewhere online?

The answer is still as above, if he was not baptised in the Church of Scotland:

Records for other churches are generally held by the National Archives for Scotland but not available online.

If you know where he got married, that record may offer a clue as to his religious affiliations.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 01 July 06 12:55 BST (UK) »
Just checked his Marriage cert and that states:

On the Eleventh day of December at Fishwick Parish of Hutton after banns according to the forms of the Church of Scotland

Carol