Author Topic: Birth Cert - where do I get it from  (Read 5809 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Cert - where do I get it from
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 May 06 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hugh Burns is his name born between 1853 and 1955

The census state 1855 so that would be the best bet

As for Scotlandspeople - no credit card!  Never got one when I had the chance and now only hubby has one but that is the business one so daren't use that one lol

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 May 06 09:25 BST (UK) »
I agree absolutely - the English certs are often semi-useless, and the Australian ones (which are based on the Scottish system) are amazingly informative!!  How often have I gnashed my teeth and wished that all my ancestors were Scots and Australian!!!  ::)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 June 06 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Sorry it takes so long time to get round to looking up for you. Well, I did...there is no Hugh Burns born in Kelso between 1855 and 1857. BUT there are two BARNS born in Kelso during this period--this is on my second attempt to find him using the soundex.

I will get to you in a day or two with further information if we are fortunate in locating him with the parental details.

I have to use my credits (1 credit each) to do the search. In order to see the parental details, I would have to look in each entry (costs 6 credits).

I think I have another way to find out whether he was truly born in Scotland or not.

Will get back to you on that--it may that Hugh Burns thought he was born in Scotland but not...because of his recollections or specific memories he may had probably caused him to believe he was born in Kelso.

OR he was born before the Civil Registration was established in Scotland.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 June 06 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol again,

I have checked Hugh Burns to see if he was in OPR (Old Parish Records)-no sign of him.

There are no Hugh Burns in Kelso.

BUT there are other few Hugh Burns in other parts of Scotland.

How certain are you about his parents? What about his name? It can be different from what we believe it to be.

Believe me, it happened to me--my grandad was born under a different name!  ::)

Will keep you posted...

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Tess

Thank you so much for all your hard work searching for this "elusive" person - I could say something else about him but won't lol

All I know is that his census entries all the way back to 1861 are under Hugh Burns. I was even thinking that maybe his mother Agnes wasn't married when she had him and went under either her maiden name which could be either Hilson or Nilson OR her married name which was Wallace

In 1861 they were living in Kelso at 62 Horse Market as were many of the families on that page

His parents were definitely Peter / Patrick Burns and Agnes Nilson/Hilson/ Wallace

Thanks again

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 June 06 14:23 BST (UK) »
The civil records for Scotland (births and marriages) 1855-1875 are on the IGI. It includes parent names.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

I  looked for your Hugh Burns without success but you could try all the variations.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toali66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 June 06 11:12 BST (UK) »
Have you tried family search its a free site , has loads of info on familys all over the world .

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 30 June 06 12:54 BST (UK) »
I think every site that holds any information with a Scottish link has been tried Toali lol

I have the marriage entry and that gives a different age for him again. Cannot think where to go for him now

Big Brickwall and not tools available -- oh well

Carol

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 June 06 17:25 BST (UK) »
Carol

I've found that the late 1840s and early 1850s can be a relatively unfruitful time for information on some of my ancestors in the parish registers. Can follow the majority of these ancestors on each census, their marriage and death but can't pin down the date of baptism/birth. I think in a few of my cases it may not be due them not being baptised but due to the big split in the Church of Scotland in 1843. Think that a few of my ancestors followed their ministers from the Church of Scotland into the United Free Church and so possibly don't appear in the OPRs for that reason. Can be rather frustrating as its only a few years before the introduction of registration.

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net