Author Topic: 10 Oakfield Place, Clifton, Bristol? Directory lookup please  (Read 937 times)

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
10 Oakfield Place, Clifton, Bristol? Directory lookup please
« on: Thursday 18 May 06 07:22 BST (UK) »

Can anyone tell me what was at 10 Oakfield Place, Clifton, Bristol in 1937?  Is it shown in any directory?
Was is a private house? a private hospital/nursing home?  Frances Hargreaves died there aged 84. She was the last of three sisters so maybe it was a nursing home.  But she was not impecunious so maybe she had a housekeeper/nurse?  Any info welcome.

Second question: is Oakfield Place anywhere near Bristol Grammar School?  her cousin's husband was the Headmaster so maybe Frances came to live here to be near them.

Third and last: whereabouts would a nonconformist who died at 10 Oakfiled Place in 1937 be likely to  have been buried, ? ie where do I start looking for Frances' burial?

I realize that Clifton is in Avon but there does not seem to be a separate list for Avon.

Any help, ideas appreciated.
Thanks,
charlotte

Offline mangomania

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Me and three Nains, pic restored by rootschatters
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Oakfield Place, Clifton, Bristol? Directory lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 06 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte

Oakfield Place is about 1/4 mile away from BGS (in University Road).

This part of Bristol, I believe, will come under Gloucestershire - it's only the small area south of the Avon which is Somerset (primarily Bedminster).

If you post on the Gloucs board, you may find someone who will either know, or look it up at the Bristol archives.

Cheers
Ian
Co-ordinator of Staffs (41, 61 & 91) Middlesex 61,  91 & Cambs 61 for FreeCEN

Researching: Cameron, Slator, Keep, Bramidge, Kirk, Mellor, Cox, Howse, Cordell, Clayton, Jones, Evans & Williams

Census information posted is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Oakfield Place, Clifton, Bristol? Directory lookup please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 03:30 GMT (UK) »

Hullo Ian,
 So my guess seems correct-that where Frances Hargreaves lived was near the school is correct.   Frances came to live in Clifton to be near her cousin- makes sense.  The Headmaster's wife, Bertha Barton,  was also commented upon within the family as being a very kindly Yorkshirewoman. Being so close to the school meant they could keep an eye on her as she aged.

Thanks also for sorting out the Avon bit for me.

I appreciate your help- and feel a degree of satsifaction at having surmised correctly- probably!
Thanks Ian,
charlotte