Author Topic: How is this for a coincidence?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline rob.loasby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How is this for a coincidence?
« on: Thursday 18 May 06 19:50 BST (UK) »
Spent today staring at a fiche reader in the local archives, looking for two completely different ancestors (one from my maternal line and one from my paternal line) from three hundred years ago. From what I'd found previously, I knew they came from the same small town, and had approx dates for their baptisms, but was amazed to see them both on the same page of the PR, baptised less than two months apart in 1710!

Made me wonder if they met and agreed that their 4th Gt Grandchildren should marry.  :)

(Think I startled one or two other researchers with my "Bloody Hell!" exclamation)
Searching for:

UK:
Loasby (Norfolk & Northants), Alsop (Notts, Yorks), Henton (Notts, Derbys, Leics), Hill (Notts, Derbys), Shail (Ireland)
Poland (Galicia):
Gawel, Chalupa, Swica, Winicki/Winicka

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
Re: How is this for a coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 May 06 20:39 BST (UK) »
How super...that doesn't happen too often Rob.

I was looking on an 1841 for someone, and in the same household were, son and wife, father, mother and grandparents ... I was really chuffed.

Kind regards
Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 06 21:03 BST (UK) »
I had something similiar researching on my tree.  On the 1851 Census, I think it was, my 3xgreat-grandfather was living in one house, next door to him was his future wife and her parents.  My initial thought was "lazy sod...couldn't even go further than next door to find a wife." ;D :P
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 06 21:24 BST (UK) »
I've found 2 families on my dad's side and 1 on my mum's all living in the same street  nearly 100 years before dad married mum and joined them up.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 May 06 21:44 BST (UK) »
I have one of my Dad's Great Grandparents and his family living in the same village as one of my Mum's Great Grandparents and his family.

Mum always said they were related so this added fuel to the fire when they found out lol

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Kezlyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 May 06 08:35 BST (UK) »
Found the family of a 3x ggrandfather in the 1841 census in a village in Cornwall, two weeks before he was born.

His future wife, whom he married a distance away elsewhere in the county, was living with her family, age 1, two doors down.

Kez :)

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Getting back to my Roots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 May 06 21:19 BST (UK) »

I think this phenomena is fairly common...people didn't travel far from home in those days, they didn't have the wherewithall to go far from their doorstep.....

All my Family on my Paternal side came from Lowestoft dating back into the 1600s and for the most part all of them met their partners within a couple of Streets of each other...it made sense if you think about it....they would see each other from childhood or Schooldays (If they ever got to School) upto adulthood.....

Michael72.
My email is not working sorry
GILBY, Lowestoft and Cleethorpes.
COO, Horncastle/Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
MADIN, Sheffield/Cleethorpes.
AYERS, Yorkshire, Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
Clark, Cheltenham, Hull, Cleethorpes.

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Getting back to my Roots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 May 06 21:58 BST (UK) »
I think this phenomena is fairly common...people didn't travel far from home in those days, they didn't have the wherewithall to go far from their doorstep.....

All my Family on my Paternal side came from Lowestoft dating back into the 1600s and for the most part all of them met their partners within a couple of Streets of each other...it made sense if you think about it....they would see each other from childhood or Schooldays (If they ever got to School) upto adulthood.....

Michael72.
My email is not working sorry
GILBY, Lowestoft and Cleethorpes.
COO, Horncastle/Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
MADIN, Sheffield/Cleethorpes.
AYERS, Yorkshire, Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
Clark, Cheltenham, Hull, Cleethorpes.